How long can I safely leave a pot roast in a crockpot on "warm" for?

JacksMama613

Asked by JacksMama613 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I fianlly found an answer, although they didn't cite their source:
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/slowcookerresources/fr/smartpot.htm

4 hours is what the article says.

Answer by Bmat at 5:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I leave mine on for 12 hours (while at work) and it makes the roast so tender. I've done this many times and never had a problem. Nummy roast sounds so good right now!
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 1:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• when i make pot roast i turn it on high til it starts cooking and then i turn it on low. it stays on low pretty much all day when we get ready to eat i turn it off so it is cooled bor me to put away later.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It'll be ready by like 4:30 but my hubby won't be home til' 6...will it be ok on warm for that long?
    JacksMama613

Answer by JacksMama613 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• yes kelli, that would be fine. two hours isnt bad at all!! :) Mmm..now i want a roast. THANKS! lol
    ilovemypnut86

Answer by ilovemypnut86 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I recently did a pot roast, and was in the similar situation. I left it in the crock pot on "warm" until my hubby came home and it was still tender and juicy. My suggestion is to make sure it has moisture in the pot so it doesn't dry out.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It will be just fine. As long as it is kept at a safe temperature it can stay there for a long time. Leave the lid on so that the temperature stays up where it needs to be.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Hmm im jealous my crockpot only has low or high settings no warm setting!...
    TraceyLynne

Answer by TraceyLynne at 2:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I googled and couldn't find a good answer. The best I found was to check how warm the warm setting actually is- put water in the crockpot, cook it on low or high until hot, then put the crockpot on warm for a couple hours and see what temperature is there. The guideline for keeping food safe seems to be 165 degrees.

Answer by Bmat at 4:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Thanks Bmat! I googled too and couldn't find an answer.
    JacksMama613

Answer by JacksMama613 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008