WHAT DO U DO WHEN UR 8YR OLD YELLS AT U AND TELLS U THEY HATE U??

I HAVE AND 8YR OLD SON AND HE HAS ADHD SOME TIMES WHEN I ASK HIM TO DO SOME THING LIKE CLEAN HIS ROOM HE'LL YELL AT ME AND TELL ME HE HATES ME. SO WHAT WOULD U DO IF THIS WAS U??

feliciahayles

Asked by feliciahayles at 9:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him that if you hated him you would allow him to be a lazy no good for nothing person that would amount to nothing. But since you LOVE him you are teaching him how to survive in life, and then to get to the work.
    LgFamilyMomma

Answer by LgFamilyMomma at 9:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I'll be honest- sometimes I would do the nice motherly talk - and sometimes I would beat his ass! The talking is good sometimes, but children need to do as they are told. If my child had ADHD, i would probably give him little portions of the room to clean at a time - not all at once. Maybe set a timer, use lots of rewards. But total disrespect - not happening here mommy.
    Anonymous

• Teach him how to react if someone says it to him. "Your words hurt my feelings. They make me sad.I'm sorry if you feel that you hate me but I don't hate you. I love you and hope you will find that you are just angry and that you don't hate me. If you want to talk about this when you are not so angry then I will listen and we can work this out but for right now I don't like how you have spoken to me and you should go to your room now and think about this." His time out in his room should be at least 8 minutes. One minute for each yr of his age. (NO Playstation, xbox or tv in the room either)

Answer by admckenzie at 11:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• ADHD kids need schedules and their diets need to be watched. Are you doing this?
    Also, if he is asked to clean his room off schedule, and his room has no order, he is overwhelmed.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I explain that he is alowwed to feel that way. But that disrespect will not be allowed. I follow through with the task and as "punishment" for his outburst I have him draw a picture or write a story to show the correct way to direct strong feelings.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• "Thats not nice to tell mommy, but the fact of the matter is that you will get bugs and rats in your room if it isnt kept clean. I want you to be healthy. Scream that you hate me in your room, and get started, and let me know if you need help with the big stuff, like cleaning under the bed." He sounds like he is just trying to get to you... Good Luck!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 1:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• look him dead in the face and say "i can live with that." then walk off. he is doing this, saying this to manipulate your emotions. he's trying ot hurt you to get what he wants. don't let him.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Another mother going through the same thing as me. I am in a loss as well but if anyone gives you good tip's please let me know, you are not alone!
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 11:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I just ignore her. She hates when I don't react to her like she wants. When my younger kids say it I either ignore the comment or get over dramatic and pretend to cry. That really catches them off guard and they forget why they were mad in the first place. Usually I just ignore it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Im sorry! But I would cut her ass... excuse my french... it just means I would give her a spanking she would never forget.
    armywife610

Answer by armywife610 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2008