Any car mechanically inclined moms?

I really am not. I have my car up for sale right now and we are pretty sure there is a small issue with my head gasket. I put the car for sale for less than half what it is worth. It is a mustang so given the type of car there are many guys out there who take them and fix them up without much problem. Anyway, I had a guy call last night wanting to trade me cars but he was nice, he told me of a quick fix for my car. He said there is a liquid head gasket fix that can probably get my car through until I can get it fixed right (in a couple months). I am wondering if anyone has ever used something like this?

Asked by gemgem at 8:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• yes that will work temporariy but not for a long period of time. Go to advance or a place you trust. i suggest you bring a friend that is knowledgable so they don't try and sell you the most expensive one and also convince you that you need all these extras
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• after reading your other posting, it may need it's lines flushed.
    canelamami

Answer by canelamami at 10:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My neighbor used something like that on his truck last month and his truck is now running fine. I would go to advance auto or another place like that and ask. They are normally helpful.
    canelamami

Answer by canelamami at 9:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't know anything about it, but my husband works on cars on the side, for friends and all our car work - if you don't get an answer, message me tonight and I'll ask him when he's home. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• For a small leak, the stop leak additives can work. If this is a classic Mustang, I wouldn't do it. You can gum things up elsewhere in the system with these additives. Replacing a head gasket is a BIG job. It's easy to screw up if you don't do it just right and really clean where the old one came out as well as making sure you don't block the holes that are supposed to stay open on the head. Have you tried tightening the screws that hold the head down? Sometimes that's all that's needed with a leak. (Vibration can cause screws to loosen. My sister had a Vega that had screws that regularly loosened and caused problems. Lock-tight fixed it finally!)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Thanks ladies. I just dont have the $440 in parts alone to fix my car. I figure if I can fix it then maybe I can sell it and get an SUV instead. I am tired of my mustang anyway lol.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yes we already tried tightening it. My son in law is a mechanic and spent a couple days on the car trying to figure out what exactly what was going on with it. See it seemed like it was not getting gas, it wanted to turn over but would not. I had it towed to the house. Once at the house of course the car turned over. He drained the oil and it looks a little milky which is why he believes it is a head gasket problem. Initially he thought it was a fuel pump or fuel filter because it was acting almost like it had no gas, but it did. I keep it topped on full at all times. It is my "baby".

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• ummm if all u need is a head gasket u can get that for like $75 at Advanced. My DH just got through putting a new head on his car and had to replaced the gasket 3 times...it sucked. Luckily he can work on our cars without taking to a mechanic. Then all you have to do is take it to a mechanic to be fixed..which is expensive but definitly not over 400 in parts alone.
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• what makes u think its the head gasket?

If u have radiator fluid in your oil then its defintly a blown head gasket. If ur coolant is fine and there is no liquid in ur oil besides oil...then its not ur head gasket.
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• katiebug we prepare for it all and in the mustang I have I have aluminum heads. Most of the times when a head gasket goes out in those it will warp the head or crack it. Even a small crack on a head requires a new one. Every one I have talked to, both friends and mechanics have told me there is an 80% chance given the year and type of mustang I will need to replace not just the head gasket but also the head.
    This stuff will temp fix both until I can get it fixed if it works. That is why I was asking if anyone had tried it or not. Thanks everyone. I will update once I find out. We went ahead and got some it has a money back guarantee so I have nothing to lose.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011