Do your kids have chores?

and if so what age and what do they do?

my 9 year old makes his bed; does dishes; helps fold laundry; dusts and vacuums

my 4 year old makes his bed; picks up his toys; puts his clothes away; dusts and feeds the cats

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• yes, she has to clean her room once a week, but she has daily chores...like emptying the dishwasher, folding & putting away her laundry & she helps clean the kitchen after dinner.

It's not much, but it's better then no chores. My mom never made us clean at all & i suffered as a result. I had to learn as an adult how to keep a tidy house & even still, i clean in a very disorganized way. It takes me 2 hours to do what my husband can in 45 minutes. I don't want my DD to know how to clean properly. I don't want her to be a disorganized house keeper like me....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My 3 yo cleans her room and helps with anything else that I ask her to do. She mostly helps me do the cleaning around the house and as she gets older she will be assigned more chores and responsibilities.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:34 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My son is two and he picks up his toys before bed, unloads the safe dishes (spoons, plastic bowls etc.) from the dishwasher, puts his clothes in the laundry and helps me match socks when I am folding the laundry. My daughter is one and she puts the soap in the dishwasher and also helps to put away toys and "safe" dishes.
    We don't force them to do their "chores" but we encourage them to help around the house and take responsibility for their toys.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:30 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My six year old and my four year old clean their room and pick up after themselves. They help do dishes occasionally ( they love it) and my four year old helps fold laundry (she loves it)!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• not really. he'll keep his rooms clean and things put away, as i remind him. but other than that, i haven't desired to give him the task of mopping or cleaning a bathroom.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• my 10 & 8 yr old step kids have to keep their rooms clean and put up their clothes
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i'm sorry....blah...i DO want my DD to know how to clean properly...guess i need more coffee....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i have four children and they all make their beds clean their rooms bring down their laundry and put away their own clean clothes. They also put their rinsed dishes in the sink sweep the floors and clean their own bathroom. for extra points they do extra things around the house to earn special treats. Extra points include taking out the big trash cleaning dog poop or litter pan, starting and finishing a load of laundry or anything extra they do w/o being asked. They actually have been doing this since they were all little. They keep it up pretty good too. In the summer we become a little bit relaxed on the room clean we normally do that on sundays.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My 9 yo has to clean the bathroom 1x's a week and sweep the kitchen floor few times a week and feed the dog in the morning, he also helps his sister clean her room because she seems to think she doesn't have to do it. She doesn't really have any chores except to clean her room but that's 50/50.
    dnmc1985

Answer by dnmc1985 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I struggle with this, I really need to make a schedule or something. My 8 yr. old dd, cleans her room when she's told and puts away her clothes. I really should start keeping on top of her to make her bed and have a regular chore.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2011