Medical profesional needed to answer my question please. . . pretty please!!

I quit smoking 6 days ago. Beginning yesterday, I have had to take deep breaths a lot for my lungs to feel satisfied. Then I went jogging. Afterwards, after warming down and everything, it became harder to take a breath. My lungs kind of feel like rubber. When try to breathe deep, I get a little light headed. When I relax and breathe shallow, I feel better. If this does not get better, I am going to the doctor. But for now, I need some medical advise and knowledge.

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Health

• your lungs are used to taking shallow breaths. Instead of jogging, sit in a comfortable position & take deep breaths while sitting down. We don't use a good percentage of our lungs & they get used to that shallow breathing. The more air you take in, the more oxygen your body absorbs & your body will run more efficiently because of it.

I would not jog again if it makes you feel uncomfy. But, i would sit down & take deep breaths. Breathe in while counting to 7, then hold it for 7 seconds, then breathe out for 7 seconds. Make sure you feel your tummy & chest rise while you are taking these deep breaths. Eventually, your lungs will become more adjusted to deep breathing & you won't fell the way you're feeling now.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You should feel better jogging now then you did when you were smoking. If you are new to jogging, you need to pace yourself.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It is not uncommon for people to complain of lung discomfort during the few weeks after quitting. Some people say that they cough up a lot of stuff, too . . .like the lungs are "clearing out".

Try some deep breathing. Mint tea, vicks cough drops, and Altoids can help shield the yucky feeling because of the vapors.

You are also, probably, a little anxious, as you are going through a physical withdrawal.

Hang in there!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011