Should I still wear sunscreen? lol

Probably a really stupid question but...

My dad is Latino and my mom is white. I got my dad's complexion for the most part and I'm 23 years old and have never worn sunscreen because I never burn...I just get super tan.

Is it necessary to wear it even if you don't burn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Health

• yeah. the pigments in your skin don't protect you from the uva's which will give you lots of premature wrinkles and age spots, gross. i don't burn but i ALWAYS wear sunscreen because i'm vain and want to be beautiful forever
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't burn either (I am Italian and olive complexion), but we still absolutely need to wear sunscreen! Sunscreen protects you from the harmful effects of the sun, which mau cause cancer. Just because you don't burn it doesn't mean youcan't get skin cancer.
    Make sure to always wear sunscreen! :)
    Tamara0383

Answer by Tamara0383 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• yes it helps fight off skin cancer
    arisunshinelove

Answer by arisunshinelove at 9:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• well actually the uvb's which are the ones that cause cancer are less likely to cause cancer in darker complexions. the reason being the burn is what causes the cancer. when you burn it kills layers of skin. burn badly enough and it kills all of your layers of skin. each burn increases your chances of skin cancer. if you don't burn then you probably won't get skin cancer, not impossible but not common either. the uva's will hit you though and those are the ones that make you ugly
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• yes, you probably should in my opinion.

I've always worn it, and when I went to my 20th reunion I was asked who did my face lift. I've never had anything done to my face. Felt sorry for the poor women that always had the trendy tans.
    When I saw one of them I thought it was her mother!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• OMG, yes! My husband is black and he wears it. YOu can still get skin cancer but will people with dark migmanted skin are less likely to get skin cancer. That is why you rarely hear about African Americans, Latinos, Muslim, etc... getting skin cancer...BUT it can still happen.
    YellowBaby

Answer by YellowBaby at 10:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2011