Why does Sharia law have any power on American soil?

The Quran gives husbands supreme authority over a woman.

Muhammad said: "If a husband calls his wife to his bed [i.e. to have sexual relation] and she refuses and causes him to sleep in anger, the angels will curse her till morning" (Bukhari 4.54.460). He also said: "By him in Whose Hand lies my life, a woman can not carry out the right of her Lord, till she carries out the right of her husband. And if he asks her to surrender herself [to him for sexual intercourse] she should not refuse him even if she is on a camel's saddle" (Ibn Majah 1854).

In New Jersey a Muslim man raped his wife several times stating “You are my wife, I can do anything to you. The woman, she should submit and do anything I ask her to do.”

A judge upheld this stating that this was the husband's religious right! When does Sharia law have any power on American soil?

http://www.sodahead.com/living/new-jersey-judge-rules-muslim-mans-right-to-rape-as-religious-freedom/blog-398551/

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question!  America needs to take a long hard look at whats happening in Europe and wake up.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Religious freedoms? Rape is against the law. I do not know how this could be upheld.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• A judge upheld this stating that this was the husband's religious right! --

what about the woman's right?? i find it hard to believe it (sharia) is all about religious freedoms and perfectly ok with a lot of people (here on CM) that also champion for women's rights. doesn't make any sense to me, op.
    what happened to ''your rights end where mine begins.''?????? is that only for non-Muslims???
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• From the end of the article:

Luckily, the appellate court overturned this decision, and a Sharia ruling by an American court has not been allowed to stand…

I just think it's important to point out that the ruling was overturned, since clearly it's insane! I am a strong believer in separation of church and state, and I don't think it matters what your religion says is ok, if it goes against the law then you should be prosecuted. I believe people have tried to invoke religious freedom for human and/or animal sacrifice, for being able to marry 12 year old girls, etc, etc, and I don't think anyone has gotten very far with that. One stupid Judge made a stupid ruling in this case, that was overturned, but I don't think this is any indication that Sharia law will soon take over. This is still America, and frankly I don't think Americans stand for that kind of crap. You can't rape someone because a book tells you it's ok.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:34 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The quote you posted doesn't say a man can force himself on his wife, IMO. I says she should submit or suffer the wrath of God, but it doesn't give any "judge and jury" rights to the husband. Im interpreting it wrong?
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• thats why in Oklahoma we voted that Sharia law & any international laws could not be used in court. however, its being held up in court b/c an Islamic group is claiming its discriminatory b/c the state rep who introduced it is an idiot & openly hates all Muslims.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• This is where letting Judges rule/make law instead of just interpreting on law is wrong. As far as I know a Judges job is not to legislate from the bench...it's to interprate the law. We need to make changes or enforce the rules. I am so tired of everyone just turning their heads to our laws/rules just because they don't want to follow!!! In this country, you can't just "rape" your wife because it's your religous right to do so, Are you kidding me? Too many personal opinions get in the mix with these Judges. Religion and laws should be seperate. It is his religion but shouldn't be in our law books....same as any other religous practices/law shouldn't be on our law books. IMO Yes, take heed of what's going on in UK and WAKE UP. I'm a little tired and medicated after outpatient procedure yday so I hope I didn't misunderstand something here. If I did, then teach me what's right. :D
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Also...wow, what a peaceful religion. "spread your legs lady or I'll bash your head in'. Ugh...geez, really?????
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It should be noted that the ruling revolves around a restraining order, not the rape itself or the subsequent divorce. Still, I think that judge has a screw loose.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/05/advocates-anti-shariah-measures-alarmed-judges-ruling/

TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Technically, even in Christian religions women do NOT have the right to refuse their husband. It is their job to accept his seed and to not turn him away. Is it right? No. But to those who take the word of God quite literally, they think it is. And,,,um...who the hell thinks Christianity is a peaceful religion? Crusades any one????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2011