Civil unrest? James Carville thinks so.

If the bleak job market doesn’t improve soon, both the country and President Barack Obama will suffer the consequences, says star Democratic strategist James Carville. The country could even end up with citizen uprisings, the man who played a key role in much of former President Bill Clinton’s political success told radio talker Don Imus in an interview simulcast on Fox Business.

Carville bluntly told Imus: “You know, look — this is a humanitarian — you know, you’re smart enough to see this . . . People, you know, if it continues, we’re going to start to see civil unrest in this country. I hate to say that, but I think it’s imminently possible.

There are many links available.  I chose this link because it has the actual audio of the interview.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Carville-Obama-Clinton-civilunrest/2011/06/06/id/398990?s=al&promo_code=C639-1#

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE. 

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 10:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I do think that it is possible. I have seen more stories on murder-suicides and someone just shooting up a store and killing everyone inside and the updates always come back to financial problems and unemployment. Could it become viral? Definitely. I don't have a solution to the job problem, but I'm guessing we shouldn't have wasted SO much money with our "stimulus" crap, we would probably be much further out of this horrid hole if we wouldn't have bailed those out that were obviously meant to go under.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think were too lazy to have civil unrest. Now if there comes a time when people cant watch American Idol and their cable is disconnected and they cant get online using their cell phones then maybe so. The reality is though this sucks. I know for a fact everyone is suffering job wise. My husband is making around 1/3 less then he was at the same job as he did when we met. It is that way for so many people. I dont know what itll take to wake up America, but I dont see them getting up and doing much.

Answer by gemgem at 10:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• See, I don't think we are too lazy. Look at what happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina...look at what happened with CA's Prop 8 and with the AZ immigration law. I am afraid that as the unemployment benefits run out and tables get empty people will get desperate.

yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think your exactly right.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My husband is making around 1/3 less then he was at the same job as he did when we met. It is that way for so many people. I dont know what itll take to wake up America, but I dont see them getting up and doing much.

I just have to ask. Do think our current economic situation would be any different had McCain been elected? If so, what do you think that he would have done that would have been the economic correcter/spark.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think the US economic outlook would have been a lot different if McCain had been elected..even if the Dems controlled the houses. Businesses are faced with a huge amount of uncertaintly right now.

I have sold most of my primary business and kept the special needs part...it is my passion. My dry cleaners has solid management. We are moving to another state. I am looking at what I am going to do. I would love to start a line of children's clothing...made in the US using US materials. There is no way I will do it in this climate...just too risky. A couple of years down the road I won't do it because I will be getting too close to retirement for such a big venture. This is a considerable loss..to the people I would have employed, people purchasing my affordable products, taxes..ect.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I doubt a civil unrest will occur there are too many apathetic and ignorant milling about. Like you, I got my own things going on right now with relocations and business situations if a civil unrest occurred in the next 8 months or so I doubt that I would notice. I am really having a hard time feeling bad for anyone these days that wants to take their anger out in the streets if they get shot rioting, so be it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Do think our current economic situation would be any different had McCain been elected?
    .................................................................
    This is the problem, both sides put up the same type person that would of done the same thing and that is something people need to wake up too.
    Look who they are putting up now Romney, he made $10 million in one day! who do you think gave him the money? Big Business that is who! They will be pushing him hard you fools will vote for him, because you will say he will be better than Obama and you will be proven wrong!!!!!!!!!!

It is a one party system, WAKE UP, this is way there will be unrest, when people start waking up they will be very angry.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Well, we've got plenty of historical examples of people getting violent when they are desperate...and even when they're not that desperate.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 11:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I am really having a hard time feeling bad for anyone these days that wants to take their anger out in the streets if they get shot rioting, so be it.

Civil unrest isn't the same as rioting. If you think people deserve to be shot for participating in acts of civil unrest you're a total asshole.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2011