Adoption......come give your input

Okay, now days it is like an act og congress to adopt a child. There are all kinds of screenings, after the child lives with you, they still come in and check on you from time to time and i knew one couple that adopted, and the lady came and stayed the weekend with the. But the main thing is the cost. It is out rageous. So my question is what makes paying arm and a leg to an adoption agency different from buying a child ? Maybe i am looking at it wrong, but i just want others point of views.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• i think that they need to lower the cost so that other families that cant have children but, can provide a loving and stable home life can also adopt. i think that would help the children in foster care also because then they can also get adopted.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Adopting from foster care is virtually little to no cost.
    Anonymous

• There is an adoption tax credit.....you get 10,000.00 dollars back on your taxes.
    It took 3 years for me to get the money but I did get the adoption tax credit.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I adopted my daughter and never had to go through any of that, and no such thing as an adoption tax credit sorry
    RJSMOMMA

Answer by RJSMOMMA at 2:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I am an adoptive mother and it did not cost us an arm and a leg. We did a private domestic adoption of a healthy new born. We did not "buy" our son. We did have some fees which, for the most part, were reasonable. Costs broken down: homestudy fee done by the agency we went through and it was about 900. It could have been free if we decided to do our home study with the local social service agency. But we went with a nonprofit adoption organization and their fee went to pay for their direct work with us. It was not unreasonable and they were not getting rich off it. Then a 50 application fee to review our wishes to be adoptive parents and to contract with this organization. Again not too much to ask for.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Next there is the fee for the bithmother expenses (utilities, medical, rent, ect...). They were reasonable and proof of bills are required. No different if I was the one to actually be pregnant. Also slight amount for clothing and rent after the birth. As well as money set a side for counseling should she accept the offer. It was around 5000. There were court fees, a guardian ad litem fee, lawyer fees (the most expensive fee out of all the expenses), and a fee for being matched with the birthmother from an outside agency (separate from lawyer and adoption organization) called a finder's fee which was about 3000. All in all our adoption was about 12000.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We were able to recoup some of those, if not all, the initial expense when we got filed for our taxes. So it wasn't an arm and a leg. For the most part it was reasonable. I also forgot to add the social work fee of about 1000 for the psychosocial assessment of the birthmother to determine her mental health and to make sure her needs were taken care of and that she was in no way being forced to do this. With the acception of the attorney we used (we had two) no one was getting a lot of money. So when you break down the total it really is okay. The problem is that most of us do not have the cash up front that is needed.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• You don't make money either with the tax credit - just in case someone thinks that we get 10,000 back no matter what you spend. You only get back up to that 10,000 amount. It is true that there are a lot of "hoops" you have to go through...but the agency and lawyer has an obligation to make sure that the house where a child will be placed is a good environment and stable. That parents can provide for the child and the family is a stable one. Foster care is less expensive considerably but that has its own set of qualifications. Currently we are doing that process. The expense will be about 3,000 as far as court and lawyer through the state. But our home is older so we needed some updates before the homestudy. That will probably cost us a few thousand for those. In the end it will be worth it when we bring home our daughter who will not be such a baby but she will forever be our baby from that point on.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I'm sorry so long but I feel that it is important to be honest about what our cost was so that maybe this helps other families understand the actual breakdown of adoption. Some people think only rich people adopt. I'm a social worker so I can tell you that I am personally not rolling in dough. I don't make enough for that to ever happen. Average families can adopt but it does take some planning and it may take a few years to save for that expense.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Someone has to pay for the bureacracy involved in adoptions. These protocols are put in place for the safety and protection of the adopted child(ren). I'm glad that someone is looking out for them; it hasn't always been this way. (My mother and her siblings suffered years of every abuse imaginable from foster and adoptive parents.)

Even parents that have children naturally have to pay for it. Giving birth at a hospital costs quite a bit of money. Any way you look at it, we're all buying our children. But with that "purchase" comes the comfort of knowing that their health and welfare are cared for.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 3:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2008