how can I get my 21 month old to take a bath without having a complete breakdown?

I have sat in the tub with her and she doesn't want any part of her body touching the water.

sgrant

Asked by sgrant at 10:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd was like that for a while. She was at my frinds one night while I went to pick up dh from work and when I got back to get her she had had a bath with her friend. I asked her how she did it. She said she told the girls they were mermaids and that the shower head rinsing their hair was a water fall. Now it's all good. I'm not sure why or how that worked.
    Good luck to you!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• bubble bath...but mine is obessed with it so that might or might not work. make it a game. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• maybe take her to the store and let him/her pick out some toys?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I just went through this with my daughter who is the same age. She went hysterical when I put her in the tub. I filled the tub with warm, not too hot water, with bubbles. I put her in and sat her down. I sat next to the tub and brought in baby tub toys. They squeak and spurt water out. It took 3 tries before she stopped crying and she has not cried since.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• it has just happened all of a sudden. Before I could never get her out of the tub. Now she wants nothing to do with having a bath.
    sgrant

Comment by sgrant (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Maybe try a shower? My son loves the shower. I agree with above idea or bubbles and toys.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• DS went through this for a couple weeks about 2 months ago (22 months) I had to give him baths from the bathroom sink. He would sometimes take a bath with daddy but only for a few seconds. Eventually he would get in and play if I put my legs in with him. I just kept trying and encourageing him to get in the water and play. I guess most kids go through this.
    MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 11:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• add toys add bubbles
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My niece is like this. When I give her a bath I talk to her and do everything really slow. I also let her do it to herself. And make lots of noise but fun noises. Like when the water goes down I go WOOOOO. That was a giant waterfall, did you see all those fish. I will pore some water out of the cup into the tub and use our imaginations to find what in it, like dinosaurs or something. She might not be up to it at first but give it some time. I showed my son that he could hold his hands up like a wall on his forehead so the water doesn't get in his face and now he wants to get in the shower by himself. I know it's hard but be patient. And good luck.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011