How do you get- and stay- motivated?

I am fighting depression and a sense of being overwhelmed. I NEED to get things done- housework, chores, etc. When you need to get motivated, what works for you?

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 10:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My husband and I had been having marital issues and it all came to a head after I had my last son (now 10 months old). I literally imploded. I wasn't taking showers and I was barely surviving enough to do the bare essentials like eat and feed my children and change their diapers. I did NOTHING else. One of the problems in our marriage is that my husband didn't help with anything....he never did anything....I was lucky if he took the trash out. Literally. So, I think my depression was a wake up call for him. He did everything after that because he had to, he knew I was too much of an emotional void to. Now after 10 months I can say that I'm pulling myself out of it....I've had to gain the strength. I think about it everyday...that I'm a powerful, loving, compassionate person who is worth every drop of joy I work for.
    Start small. Do a load of laundry. I KNOW you can do this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I suffer depression and go to the doctor. It took me years to get the right medications and now I am alright. That would be a first step if you know this is something you tend to get.

Answer by gemgem at 10:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Go to flylady.com helps me tons!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• eww..idk what to tell you. i'm OCD, and the housework is never something i need motivation to do. i must have order and cleanliness. ..now, grocery shopping is another story!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I find it hard to get motivated. I no longer have depression but I do know a few things I need to keep away from in order to keep motination on track. I avoid the computer, it's a time zapper, I've been on here for the last 1 and a half and my morning is gone! When I need to get stuff done I will not turn on the tv, read a book or magazine and won't answer the phone. I also tell dh when I'm doing stuff do not distract me, help sure but don't distract! I'm hoping for some motivation this afternoon!
    Is there anyone you can ask to help you? My mom has come over to help me get things started because I feel so overwhelmed sometimes too. My mil will help too we've just got to set the date. If you can get help to get things to a more managable state that may help you tremendously.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The 1st step would be to see your dr and tell him/her all you are going through. Then get on some meds. Some are motivated just because they don't like a dirty house others just let things go. I would say start with the dr and then start small Clean the bathroom 1 day do laundry one day, clean the living room 1 day and make a schedule for yourself and stick to it. Good Luck I think most of us suffer from depression at one time or the other.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I make lists and as i check things off, I see it is getting done and feel better. make sure to put some you time on the list as well. say 15 minute increments. or race against yourself and try to beat your time. for me it helps get things accomplished
    iramom

Answer by iramom at 11:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Hey there... don't worry about getting on meds. everything you are experiencing is normal. you body being out of balance because you are everything to your family. so let's take care of you first. I was feeling depressed, overwhelmed and not taking time for myself. start your day off early. don't wait for the kids to get up. time management means everything. get those chemicals out of your house! cleaning products on the market today can effect your mood. go green as soon as possible. having children our bodies go lacking of the nutrition we need. It's not hard to fall into this syndrome.Ways to get out of it? easy... one day at a time. I use all natural nutritional products everyday! Levive juice 3 times a day keeps me from feeling beat down and gives me energy. Clean the house when your kids are asleep. I did it for years. it worked. put them to bed everyday at the same time.

lets talk... look me up miamoma
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 11:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Concentrate on one small area at a time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I should have added that I am on meds for the depression and anxiety, and it's also supposed to help with the OCD. It's not that the house is just nasty- things get done. It just seems like nothing I do stays *done* for more than 5 minutes. I feel like I'm treading water all day long. I like the idea of the lists, though, and I LOVE flylady- if I could just get the gumption to get started on her system!

Also, thank you, anon, for sharing your story and the encouragement.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011