How do you displine your toddler?

I'm starting the toddler stage with my son, he' throws fits, doesn't listen and tries to push the boundaries. I know this could be just the terrible two's but the other day he took a wooden stick from his toy and kept trying to fit me in the face with it, I said no firmly and I my husband wants to do timeouts, but they aren't working. I don't know if I'm not doing correctly. so I ask what displine do you or did you use on your toddler, He's only 19 months old.
thanks for your help in advance.

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 11:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use time outs as well. It took my dd about a week to get the concept, to learn that my threat of giving her a time out would be carried out, and that she was expected to sit there until I came back to get her. Now I just tell her that she has a time out and she goes right to her spot. The Supernanny book kind of helped me revise my technique, and I am always reminding my DH that you really have to follow the script. "If you don't stop hitting/biting/throwing then you will have a time out." "You have a time out for hitting/biting/throwing, so go to your time out spot." Then you place the child in time out and tell them to stay there until you come back, or for two minutes, or whatever. When you return you say "You had time out for hitting, etc, and that is naughty behavior and I don't want you to do it anymore. Say you are sorry and give me a hug." And then it's over and you move on. Consistency is key, and follow thru. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:24 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It may take him a little while to get the concept of time outs but he will. I use time outs for DS and they work. If he gets out of time out his time starts over. He is 2 now so he sits for 2 minutes. I start a timer on the stove and when it dings I go over and tell him why he was put in time out. That I love him and why he can't do what he did. Then he has to say sorry to me or whom ever was involved and give them a hug. Some days he is in there 20 times in seems but other days not at all.

MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 11:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My husband and I took a Love & Logic parenting class when our twins were 17 months old. It worked great for us. If you can find a class in your area I highly recommend it. If a class isn't an option there are lots of books, CDs, and DVDs available on the Love and logic website or possibly at your local library.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I give my 18 month old DD "the look" and "the voice" when I tell her no. Sometimes she's even started crying when she realizes I'm unhappy with her behavior. We haven't gone the time out route yet; I'm saving that for a little later.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i get down to her level and say firmly no. i talk to her on her level. i look at her and i get up if i am sitting down and she stops. its extremely difficult when she really wants something. but i try to tell her why and explain.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I agree with the above posters. Consistency is the most important part. I'm struggling with the time out thing with my 2 year old. People have told me that it just takes time and patience. Always use the same spot and time. It seems to be working except with his hissy fits.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i make mine sit down then if that doesnt work then i will have them sit beside me
    bryansgirl

Answer by bryansgirl at 2:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011