Getting toddler to sleep in her own bed through the night

I have a 22 month old daughter. I have coslept with her since she was 6 months old. I have tried a couple of times to get her to sleep in her own crib. She still wants to be rocked to sleep. Definitely my fault.

I can put her in the crib when she falls asleep after I rock her, and then she stays in the crib for 3-4 hours then wakes up, and I rock her back to sleep, but she wakes up about every 45 mins to an hour after originally waking up. I give her a sippy cup, and she isnt thirsty. She throws it. She will just cry and cry.

Her ped. told me to let her cry and stay in the room with her to make sure she is ok. She cried for 45 mins straight. No joke.

Any advice? I would like to get her weaned off of being rocked to sleep and into her own crib through the night. This has been a sore subject for me, as I really dont want to let her cry herself to sleep, but my husband has gotten to the point where he says she needs to be in her own bed. He is AD Army, and is deployed, and he communicated to me that he wants her in her own bed when he comes back. (He never has liked cosleeping, but conceded because I was a very nervous first time mom, and he believes children should not sleep in the bed with parents, and that a marriage bed should be private)

The reason I started cosleeping was because she had acid reflux and needed to be upright when sleeping, and she projectiled vomited for months, and sometimes while she was sleeping, and i was afraid she would choke while sleeping. Shehasnt had this problem for 6-8 months, but I just dont know how to break her from this.

Thanks for any advice, and have a good day. :)

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 11:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't go to her as soon as she wakes up... Let her learn to work it out and she'll go back to sleep. If after 5-10 minutes you can go in if you want but if you run to her every time she makes a noise she's going to work that angle...

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• we still battle with that sometimes. some nights he will stay in his bed all night and others he joins us around 2 or 3 in the am. If I take him back during the night, he will usually stay the rest of the night, however, I have a bone spur and it is really painful to walk on, so I usually let him stay the rest of the night with me. My older son was 4 and 1/2 before he stayed in his room all night.. It really depends on the child and parent and what works for you as a family
    iramom

Answer by iramom at 11:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You probably need to wean her off sleeping with you little by little. Put her in the crib and try to increase the time you respond to her when she starts crying. The rocking to sleep in the first place might not be as bad as her actually still sleeping in the bed with you. If it is a bonding thing for you girls and it makes her feel secure then you could still do it...(for a bit more!), but with some perseverance and hard work I am sure she will learn to stay in her crib after she wakes up. You want to break the habit now and not when it's too late.
    Tamara0383

Answer by Tamara0383 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• yea i have same problem with 3 year old since he had a serizer at 2 years old he won"t sleep in his room
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011