Is your husband addicted to video games? What would you do?

My husband plays online video games every night from about 8pm until 2 or 3 in the morning. He has to leave for work at 7am. He has a long commute and a long work day, and I understand his need for some "me time" once he finally gets home. It's only because of multiple arguments we've had in the past that keeps him from playing as soon as he gets home (rather than waiting for the kids to be in bed) and all day on the weekends. I feel like he uses his game to escape real life and all the problems that real life brings. I also feel like he thinks his real life isn't interesting or entertaining enough to want to participate in it more. We have been together for 12 years and we have three young children. We love him and want his attention. I'm at my wits end as to what to do to make him see he has an addiction and how to make him stop.

What would you do?

Wandybrine

Asked by Wandybrine at 11:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I would cut off the internet.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My husband was addicted to World of Warcraft. He finally realized that he didn't want to waste his days playing day in and day out.

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• He was at one time. It really caused problems for our family and marriage. He kept on trying to get me to play with him. I'm like someone has to take care of the kids. I guess he got tired of hearing me complaining, he had it turned off. Thank God. Good luck!!!
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Not really to many Video games but the internet in general. He comes home from work and instead of doing things outside or just being with us sometimes he is doing and looking at things he shouldn't be and he shops ebay constantly.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Every night?? That does sould like a problem, my DH does spend hours on his xbox, but only on weekends when he's not getting up early for work.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• in our house on line gaming is not allowed for anyone. it's too addictive. we spend too much time on them as it is.

my husband used to be very addicted. 4 hours at a time was min. often it was longer. So I started putting the video games that he was playing so much where he couldn't find them so he'd take a break.

Apparently I took one away a long time ago when i was really sick and I have no idea where it is now. he's aggravated at me for that, but I remind him that if he keeps the game playing time down to a reasonable level, then the games won't be put up and he won't risk them being lost again. :)
    OK, that's stretching it, but seems that's it's worked! he doesn't play nearly as much as he used to.

That and when he started playing so much I started doing other things during all that time and I'd be busy for hours straight. So he understood how it felt to not have my attention.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I guess I fail to see the big deal, since I'm a gamer myself :P

Have you sat down and talked with him about how much you'd like to spend time with him, away from the games, while the kids are in bed?

My husband plays late into the night too, but he also doesn't go to work till 1:30pm (and usually works till around 2 in the morning), and its his time to relax from his hard day (he can't just hop right into bed). I'd say him not getting very much sleep needs to stop. He needs to stop playing so late so he can get the rest he needs. Maybe see if he'd be willing to try going to 1-2 hours a night, so y'all can get some *us* time in?

If not, tell him you're tired of being a video game widow :P
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• boy that is a hard one. I really don't know what to tell you other than i have been there before. My ex was like that. My question is, was he like that before you were married? When i was married to my ex, i started making plans on the weekends. I would invite him to go too. I would always tell him on wednsday what we were planning to do. I would remind him on friday what was going on for the weekend. I always tried to give compromises. I would give him one full day of game play whether it was on the computer or a gaming system. Tell him that your children want to make and have fun memories of their father. Not ones of them waiting for him to get off a game. Time goes by fast and kids grow up and they do remember things and how they are treated. Good luck! If you need to chat more let me know.
    money4fun

Answer by money4fun at 11:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'm a gamer also. But it still got bad for us. DH would tune me out when I really needed to talk to him and even once I got electrocuted while he was playing COD <-- a game, and he really couldn't care less. He wouldn't even take his eyes off the game. Then one day he had a job lined up a real good one too, then he said he just doesn't feel like going! I had enough so I took his PS3 and slammed it on the ground a few times even kicked it a few times. I was furious.
    I know it may sound dramatic but we were sinking financially and he FINALLY got a job after 5 years and this is what he does?! Oh hell no!
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 11:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Not so much addicted but he love to play his xbox 360 . But I love to be in my craft room so it's ok with me:)
    Earthspirit927

Answer by Earthspirit927 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2011