What is a good mannerd puppy for a 3 yr old?

shefree

Asked by shefree at 11:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pets

• basset hounds are great with kids and they are not hyper at all
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• All puppies can be rambunctious, that's why they need training. But I would look at something small to medium size. Large dogs tend to knock kids down and puppies jump.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If I were introducing a dog to a 3 year old, I'd opt for a smaller adult dog who has been used to children.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Labradors are on the top ten list as the most likely to bite.

All puppies are hyper active, they need training, socialization, and they need attention paid to them.

Honestly your three year old needs a puppy like she needs a hole in the head. Wait until she is older and more steady on her feet...the first time her puppy knocks her down could be incredibly scary for her and you'll want to give up.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• ANY dog can be a good dog...but any dog can also unintentionally inflick harm on a child (knocking it down, feeling threatener when food is taken away, etc). I agree with an above poster...pick a dog that is good for your family. Make sure you really WANT a dog. They are lifelong companions and should not be given away to a shelter later because it wasn't what you hoped it would be.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• labradors are usually good.. had a mastiff boxer mix... most mild mannered dog i've ever seen..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Labs, when we got ours my son just turned 3. they are great with kids. Size doesn't matter, i think some of the smaller dogs are more aggressive. but thats just my opinion.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We have a big dog and a small dog and I can honestly say my 3 yr old loves our small dog the most (he is younger too and still very puppyish) but they keep each other going for sure!!! He is a peekingeese. Some ppl think they are ugly but I grew up with one and got one for my daughter. They are very loyal, playful and non aggressive towards members of the household! tiny guard dog too!
    Truthsdayoff

Answer by Truthsdayoff at 12:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Our puppy is crazy. He is a small dog. We took an obedience class with him and I observed that the larger dogs were calmer. My small dog is nuts! He was worse with our younger son then anyone. He used to playfully nip his legs so he couldn't walk constantly. We used to have to spray our son down with Bitter Apple! Something about being the same size as the child, they want to dominate him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If the child is 3, the dog is going to be yours, not his, so pick a dog for you.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2011