Why are people so against polygamist marriages?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Because people don't understand it. People hear the word Polygamy and picture underage girls or abused wives... When in fact that's only a reality in the few cults which continue to practice it openly. The reality is that there are thousands of families in the US with Plural Marriages or Open Marriages who are made up of consenting adults.

What's more is if it were legal (which is was made illegal on religious grounds, not civil ones) there would in fact NOT be an increased number of underage marriages because marrying someone under the age of consent would still be illegal. Saying that legalizing polygamy would lead to more underage marriages is like saying that allowing marriage to continue as a practice is going to increase the amount of pedophiles out there...

And for the record, Plural Marriage in the Us does NOT only include those marriages with more than one wife, but also those with more than one man or both.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think because many of the societies that promote them also promote marrying off the young girls to older men. It's the association with church-sanctioned pedophilia that is so distasteful. If it's consenting adults, I could care less what legal contracts they wish to sign with each other. Just keep children protected.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:36 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• They are scared of what they do not understand?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Personally I find it distasteful but to each their own as long as all are consenting adults. My question has always been why the women can't have multiple husbands?
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think that for the most part is an inherently sexist institution.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Isn't it against the law in the United States
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• as long as they are consenting adults i have no issue with it......but if its area where girls (or even young women) are forced then i have an issue.......i think its only illegal if you MARRY them all LEGALALY but if it only marrige in your faith i think its ok.....cant be any different than a man having a mistress?
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I am not afraid of it although I just know it isn't for me. Also I think people are more upset by the fact that they think young girls are being married off to older men and men they don't want to. Fear of the unknown is also a factor and it is against the law!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I personally have no qualms about it if all parties are in agreement. Abuse happens, sure. But it happens in plenty of monogamous marriages, too.

Our laws regarding property, taxes, and inheritance are set up for one spouse, so that would have to be revamped if it were ever made legal again.

There are plenty of examples of multiple wives throughout religious texts.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I am not against it (except when it comes to the issue of children being married off to older men etc--like the poster above said). Other than that, I think if adults are happy with that situation then ok. Also, I don't believe in these people collecting PA in this situation though. So there's a problem. (without considering outside issues though) If 2 women are happy with sharing a man then that's their business. But, one man getting wealthy off of all his so-called wives collecting benefits then that's wrong. I'd have to really think about a situation that would work for all.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011