What do you think when people "swear" on someones grave? Do you ever do this?

I've never done it but I see a pattern. I know women that do this but ONLY when they really are lying. So now when someone says "no I swear on my dead So and So's grave..." I automatically think it's a lie and that is why they are going to such extremes to convince others.

My step sister swore on her handicapped brothers life that she did not break the ribs of her child and later admitted to it and was sent away.
My brothers wife swore on her dead fathers grave that she did not run her mouth inappropriately at company meetings but was fired for it when 150 employees called her out on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ive seen poeple swear on the death of a mother father sister brother, Ive seen people swear on their child their life. It really means nothing to me ethier i trust you or i dont. And honestly i think swearing on anything means your trying to hard to prove something. If your an honorable person you dont have to your yes is a yes and no a no.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 11:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I never do. In my opinion, it's disrespectful.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have never done it. I thinks its ridiculous.

booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• When somebody says that to me I take it with a grain of salt. I've never done it--I just think it's a silly thing to do.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I am not superstitious. When my daughter swears on grandmas grave I know she's telling the truth.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I assume they're lying.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I've never done it, and I've never heard it besides on movies or TV. But I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's no different than "Swear to God" or any other form of "Swearing" that you're honest, it still doesn't mean you are.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I know women that do this but ONLY when they really are lying

Wow, way to judge everyone based on your sister.

Usually this is said to help convince others that they are telling the truth. I haven't ever said it because it sounds so very over the top and mobster movie cliche. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't do it, but not from any moral standpoint. It's just not my speaking style. When people try that hard to convince me they're telling the truth, I usually assume there's a lie in there somewhere.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 12:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• ive never said it & ive never heard it. imo its tacky & in bad taste, but it doesnt offend me.

i thought it was suppose to be used to show how honest you were being by taking such a drastic step.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2011