Can't find a job, Can't apply for deferment and payments have started

I've been laid off and have been applying at temp agencies, work forces, department stores, restaurants and fast food restaurants. My last deferment request had been denied on my student loans. Just today I found out this bad news. I'm in overdraft in my checking account because of the withdrawal. I have no money.

I have networked where I live and the surrounding cities, but no one knows of any open positions. My daughter is in college and she even asks me for money since unemployment is 12.4% where she is at.

I'm getting frustrated and sick whenever I'm hearing of military dependent preferences from ACS and other employment agencies. I am so sick of military wives getting jobs solely because of who their married to (venting). Us civilians need those jobs DESPERATELY!!

Anyway, I've been going to charities, getting free food (but this doesn't pay my rent). I've been trying to get charity money for rent, but I haven't heard anything. People tell me that the process is very slow.

Quite frankly, I'm days away from being homeless (& I've been a bookkeeper, web designer, event coordinator & a consultant). Still I cannot find employment.

I've been harboring for months an idea of just leaving to another city in the middle of the night to find better economy and opportunity.

No, I don't have family. I was invited to move in with my dad in Midland, TX, but he kicked me out because he didn't want tennants that he couldn't have sex with (no joking)! He offered me one month, but this wasn't from his heart, but from law making him, so I went back to the state I lived in.

I am in very deep trouble. So I need a real job, not a work at home job to save my soul.

I need info about being homeless, where is the best place to live in a shelter and get a job, best place to network, and so forth.

For someone who's really been through it all with homelessness, what would you suggest for me to do?

Yes, applied at temp agencies, have not been picky (fast food), and networked my butt off! (Not to mention the huge amount of gas I've spent driving around just filling out applications)

Sincerly, BlueSaphire

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 12:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I agree with u on the military stuff too. I live in a military town. And everyone I know military makes really good money...yet they are the same ones complaining they make nothing. We make 3 times less than most of them do and they complain more than we do. (I'm referring to me and my family.) there are soooo many resources out there for military people but hardly anything for civilians...and what is out there for civilians, military people can also access...so thats double the help for them. Im not gonna get started about that tho...I can go on and on! lol
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• check out other states, like Texas they are doing well there. If you are almost homeless than move.
    Have a hug yard sale for money.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Deferring your loans is NOT the only option. Deferring them means they do not need to be paid and do not collect interest. (Obviously you know this)

You can also get a forebearance which means the loans will collect interest, but you won't have to pay them for a period of time.

I can't believe you couldn't get an economic hardship deferment if you are actively looking for a job.

Also I don't know if you have consolidated all your loans because that can help in a major way. Direct Loans through the Dept. of Education is a great place to start.

Good luck!
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Unfortunately there are no answers. You are doing all you can and you just have to keep doing it. Check with local churches and town offices to see if they have any resources that could help you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• we had no where to go. We slept at DH sister house for a week before our church found a place for us to sleep until we got our income taxes in. Around the same time DH finally found a job. We both had been actively looking for work for a solid year. Anyway..I know how u feel....we are still trying to get out of our hole from last year. Im still looking for work...with no avail. Sell anything u can possibly sell. Apply for foodstamps and cash assistance with ur local DFCS. Look at ur local Craigslist for jobs. See if ur area has a bookoo website...its kinda like CL.
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I know the feeling. I am the same way. No one can either afford me or I am not qualified (so they say). Its frustrating. My loans are starting to be repayed to and I am thinking why did I waste my stupid time? I have my own photography business and I am an independant contractor for Dove Chocolate Discoveries. The two together have helped me save up for my loans. Its fun too but I wish I would have started it a lot earlier but I know I will be ok.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Go ahead, endear yourself to all those Military spouses that work because military pay SUCKS and they have to put food in their children's mouths!!

Start looking ANYWHERE and not just in your "area". GO National! And quit giving your daughter money. If she needs it at 12.7% or not, she can get herself a job.
    Anonymous

• What state do u live in?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Earlier this year we were homeless. Early last year my husband was fired from his job. He was unable to get unemployment. We started receiving food stamps. We could have gotten cash assistance but in order for this to happen we would have had to put our 3 kids in child care because DH and I both would have to participate in work readiness classes. Well...we couldnt do that because we had no money to pay for childcare and because neither one of us was working we didnt qualify for childcare assistance. yeah pretty messed up. Anyway we sold almost everything we owned taht we could sell...DHs car, our kitchen table, big flat screen tv and tv stand, couch, lap top, jewlery, ipods, extra car parts my dh had, camera, lawn mower, kids toys..and much more. We finally were kicked out of our home because we couldnt pay rent. We moved in with family for a month before they kicked us out too. Then...
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Contact me I do honest work from home. Jennifersalazar.salazar@gmail.com
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 1:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011