Penn Foster or Ashworth College???

These are the only two that offer what I'm looking for. Have any of you ever used them? Were you pleased in the end?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I haven't ever used them. What program are you trying to get into? I just did my online classes at a nearby University because I knew that would be most recognized by employers. You can also get financial aid with dependents and receive grants that you dont have to pay back.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yeah see the problem with these online certificate programs and some of these online schools....such as Penn Foster or Strattford Institute is that employers don't recognize these are legitimate certificates or degrees for being knowledgeable enough to be hired. You end up spending $500-$1,000 for a worthless piece of paper....and most don't end up ever finding a job in that field.

In some cases they aren't even legally considered....for example the Cosmetology or Esthetics programs....in most if not all states to legally be a cosmetologist, Esthetician, or even Hair Stylist you need X amount of completed course hours and X amount of completed internship hours....then you need to pass the states exam. These online certificate programs claim "take our course and be a cosmetologist" But they don't tell you that NO state recognizes these as the valid course study hours you HAVE to have!

CONT>>>
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If you take one of these courses for your own fullfillment and knowledge....for example, if you take the business course to give you an edge in opening your own business....realizing it's not going to get you hired out in the field, I think they can be fine and possibly worth the money!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• What are you wanting to study?
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 4:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Ashworth is a reputable college, it is formally known as PCDI. i am studying for my accounting degree through them. My stepdad received his A/C amd Ref. degree through them. They are very good and resourceful. They are also members of the BBB.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 4:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011