Blocked tear duct

My first son had a blocked tear duct for just a few weeks. My second ds is coming up to 3 months soon and it's showing no sign of slowing. It's still as goopy and crunchy as ever. Dr says it can last up to a year and if it does she have to have something done about it.
I wash it and pick the crunchy pieces off when he sleeps because he's getting really upset with me constantly cleaning it. I have a friend who's kid is almost 4 months and same issue.
How long did your baby have a blocked tear duct and if it got to the point of the dr looking into it further, what did they do?
I'm not concerned much about it, I'm just curious.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughters was completely gone by about 12-13 months!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Dd had this until 6-7 months. I would massage the corners of her eyes (the ducts) 1-3 times a day to try to clear them up. This helped so much! Every now and again she gets some goopers and I just massage the ducts a few times to clear it up. Hope this helps:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• 6 months for mine.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My son's cleared up at around 6 months.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My son had a clogged duct until he was 11 months...
    Things we did to make it better... when it was really bad, a few drop of breastmilk in his eye helped clear it up a bit, warm wash cloth to his eye, vaseline to his lashes before bed so his eye didn't matter shut.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My middle daughter had both blocked. Right up until she had surgery at 18 months. That fixed it. She, too, HATED having anyone touch near her eyes. She still is kind of jumpy if you get near her eyes (she's 8 1/2).

My youngest son is almost 11 months and he has the same problem. They've been really bad the last few weeks and now his lower eyelid is all raw and bleeding from constantly having someone wipe the gunk away. I'm now looking for a softer cloth to ease his pain since we have to clean his eyes like 20 million times a day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011