What is your cheapest and most nutitious meal idea that includes either an actual protein or complete protein combo.

A few years ago I went to school to be a dietician but became bored and didn't finish but I want to encourage people that during these difficult times that , with a little planning, you can deliver excellent nutrition to your family without breaking the bank. Food can taste delicious, too.

We don't have to eat hot dogs for every meal either!

Your best ideas to share?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I can't even begin... We eat a lot of legumes, only whole grains, no pre-packaged anything (it was hilarious when I first baked something for my SO which he was adamant he did not care for, then realized that he liked it... because he had only had the packaged crap).

Lentil burgers are always a favorite, paired with garlic green beans. (around $3.50 for a family of 4, w/ lunch left overs)

Salmon cakes, herb roasted potatoes, random veggies (that costs around $7 to feed a family of 4 w/ lunch leftovers).

Hearty veggie and barley soup (around $7-8 for supper, leftovers and some in the freezer... you can't just make enough soup for one meal!)

I grew up without money, and with a ton of food allergies, so I learned very young how to budget, plan and cook. Its sad that it seems to be completely lost on our society.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• eggs and a glass of milk in the morning.. or peanutbutter toast with a glass of milk. simple, easy, great way to start your day.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Bean & cheese burritos with a side salad is one of my son's favorites. We love falafel w/greens wrapped in flatbread (homemade is best, but store-bought works, too). We also eat a lot of fish & chicken, typically with quinoa & roasted veggies.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• hummus and pita, broccoli and rice, and red beans and rice. Mmmm!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2011