College vs Your own company

I run my photography company quite well. But I always look at colleges and wonder if maybe I should get a degree... I love and enjoy my job but there are seasons (like the summer!) when its really too hot to be outside doing pictures. What do you think? Should I get something now or wait and see?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 12:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't know....you'd think with it being Wedding Season you'd be even busier during the Summer. It's really up to you. Would you go for photography or learn something new? If you are looking into photography courses and business courses, perhaps take a few evening classes so you are still working....and then look into ways to build your business. Look into being a vendor at Bridal shows, sell photos at any Art Show Events, contact Summer Sports teams and give quotes for getting team pictures done.....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If you love your job, and make enough at it. I would stick with it. It really helps you to get up everyday when you like you job.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The weddings I have booked are all in Sept and Nov. this year. I have one in three weeks but Thats it. This is my first year doing it as a job honestly. Next year I will been more well known and able to book more. But usually the first year is slow and from whatI have been booking, its more than newbies normally book. I just wonder some times. I'd go for admissions I think. So I'd work 5 days a week but have weekends open.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• In your area of work, a college degree is not essential; but you may benefit, personally, from a degree.

If you really want to earn your degree, there may be a way to do it without compromising your business. Check to see if any colleges in your area offer weekend or evening classes for working adults. Also check to see if you qualify for any grants or scholarships for women in the workforce or working moms.

Life-long learning is a wonderful goal, just be sure you continue to nurture your business -- which sounds like it is financially successful (something a lot of people cannot say these days). GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Investment in education - always a good idea~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011