Why does my cat....

Why do my cats pee beside the litter box? I have 2. An unaltered female and an altered male. Is it a territory thing? They are four years old and take spells about doing this....about to pull out my hair....Ive tried changing litter and litterboxes. HELP

Truthsdayoff

Asked by Truthsdayoff at 12:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pets

• I would say add a little box, they may not like sharing.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Try getting 2 litter boxes and cleaning them as often as you can. Oh, and I wouldn't get one that is covered.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• They don't want to share the litter box. Also make sure you are cleaning it daily.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have an auto litterbox But am thinkin about bringng my non auto one in as well :(
    Truthsdayoff

Comment by Truthsdayoff (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• A funny thing - when I had 2 litter boxes and 2 cats, they would pee in one and poop in the other. they NEVER mixed it up! Weird!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Have you have them checked by the vet?
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Cats are very clean animals and peeing outside of the littler pan is usually a symptom of an underlying medical problem. There are instances where it's purely territorial but they don't normally do that. I would get the female altered asap. Unaltered felines mark territory by spraying...males and females alike. Getting them fixed is a good preventative for spraying as wel as certain cancers. I have read online before that you should have one litter box for each cat in the home, PLUS one. We have one for each cat and it works out fine here. They are cleaned daily.

I have a male who did this and I thought it was just a behavioral problem. He did this time and time again and I was so fed up. I finally broke down after trying all the "home remedies" and took him to the vet. We found out he had an infection all along! I felt HORRIBLE! Because I waited so long before taking him in, he formed a habit. (cont)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• .....He still does it on occassion, but not regularly. We place puppy training pads around or underneath the litter boxes. If he decides to pee outside, it goes onto those, and they are disposable. Easy clean up!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Thanks renee3k I have had them checked before at the vet and they contribute it to being behavioral???? They havent really had any anwsers for me either other than that. But health wise they are fine..... I guess I am going to put out another box and see if it works.....cant hurt anything. I also have thought aboug gettin her spayed (male is fixed already) but i am so afraid it wil change her personality. She is the MOST affectionate loving cat I have ever known and it would be a shame if that changed at all....I have heard that can happen so..im torn......
    Truthsdayoff

Comment by Truthsdayoff (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You might also talk to your vet about medication. That could make a differance. You might also try a comfort zone with feliway plug in.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011