My daughter was born 1 week after her due date. What are the chances that my son will also be born after his due date? Just curious.

SMG1120

Asked by SMG1120 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had both mine a week over my due date.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 1:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Was your labor spontaneous or was it induced? It makes a difference.

The average length of a first pregnancy is 41 weeks and 1 day. A second pregnancy is 40 weeks 3 days. Some women gestate longer or shorter than average. If your labor was induced, it could be that you just gestate longer (and that's okay!). If it was spontaneous, you can expect this pregnancy to be a little bit shorter, but don't count on it, mother nature rarely follows text book perfect examples when making new people :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It was spontaneous. The doctor had scheduled me to be induce for 1 and half weeks after my due date but exactly 6 days after my due date, at 11:30pm my water broke and she was born the next day.
    SMG1120

Comment by SMG1120 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• No pitocin? That's awesome. Usually they pit you as soon as your water breaks.

make sure to get enough vitamin C this pregnancy to prevent the water from breaking too long before labor starts is my counsel. It strengthens the sac. Also, know that the risk of infection doesn't increase for 48 hours as long as nothing goes into the vagina after your water breaks, and that most women give birth in that timeframe :) And the risk of stillbirth and complications doesn't increase until 42 weeks (not 41). So induction prior to that is increasing risks unnecessarily unless there is a medical reason.

It sounds like you have average gestations. Like I said, don't count on a shorter pregnancy, because every single one is different, but I would guess that this one will be born right around his due date.

Congrats!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2011