How do I get my boys to realize NO means NO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First - you say no and stand firm. You remain consistent. No must always mean no. It can not mean NO only sometimes and then "no unless you nag enough" other times. You offer a consequence for failing to recognize no means no. Then you follow through with your threat.

Also, you realize that kids are going to test boundaries and protest perceived injustice. At some level, you really don't want to raise little "yes people" that fall into line with a "because I said so" because you'd much rather have critical thinkers who aren't afraid to question and press when appropriate. And you realize that kids trying to convert a no is pretty much a normal developmental thing that isn't going to go away no matter how much you insist it does. You stand firm and hold ground, but you take it in stride because, as my 6 yr old says, "It is what it is."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Be firm and consistant and never cave and give them something after you said no.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Good Luck..let me know if you find out. There are just some days that my kids won't listen at all.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You enforce your "no". You say it once. If the child continues to do what he was doing, you spank his bare leg hard enough that he feels the sting of his disobedience and disrespect for his parents. If you will consistently do that, your "no" will come to mean "no". Otherwise, it's just another word to be ignored.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• great question...let me know if you figure it out. I think being consistent and not giving in...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Welcome to the dilemmas of almsot parents...LOL. Like it was said...reinforce it with actions. If you say no and they still do it, then punish. Send them time out, take something away or whatever technique works for your child. More importantly, always be consistent.
    Tamara0383

Answer by Tamara0383 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Consequences for not realizing that are?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Sticking to your guns. They'll protest but eventually get it.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Be very firm, and be very consistent. Dont ever give in once youve said no. If you stick to your guns every single time theyll eventually get the hint.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 4:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My son has a hard time with disappointment. Hearing no is extra emotional for him. Since I know this I try my best to avoid an issue before it blows up. A good defense is a good offense. If I can't set the stage before hand typically talk him through it by saying something like: when you chose to make a poor choice you chose to have no cartoon time. Or: when I told you you can not have a snack right now and threw a tantrum you chose to lose playing with your remote control car this afternoon. Then I make sure no matter what happens next I follow through. Sure he may cry, more recently beg for another chance - nope. No chances. I do it on the first time. I try very hard to be fair. I listen. No yelling. But still have to insert some learning opportunity. I also lay out rules before hand with each activity. That helps reduce the issues.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2011