What would you do?

I am a single mom and I have a wonderful 5 year old son. I make good money where I work and I am permanent. I have worked there for 14 years. I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath house that will be mine in 2 years. I also have a paid off car.

I have been thinking about this for a year now. I really want to adopt a child. I live in a small town and there are a lot of children who's parents have had their parental rights terminated. A lot of them are the same race as me and I can sort of see myself in them. I know I could provide a stable home and a loving family for them but I'm a little scared.

I went to one of the hearings as advised by my lawyer to see the parents and I guess they knew why I was there and they started yelling profanity at me saying that they will find their kid and that I think I'm better than them. That kind of discouraged me but I know I still want to adopt somehow.

Has anyone adopted or thought about it? What would you do about the birth parents trying to some back into the child's lilfe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Adoption

• i would do it you have eveything oing for yourself...why not
    idkcudbelove

Answer by idkcudbelove at 1:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have adopted through an agency in California.

If this is something that you want to do , follow your heart.

Take one step at time every day.

Maybe it would be best to go outside of where you reside.
    I think that what you want to do is beautiful..you have love that youwant togive to another child.

I wish that I could guide you more...just follow your heart..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Sorry but you can't expect a parent losing their child regardless of the circumstances to be fond of you. To them you are the enemy. Personally I find it a little shark like to shoe up at hearings where they are trminating someone's parental rights to see if there is. Kd in it for you. Not the way to do it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• And if you choose to adopt someone else's child, be willing to accept that no matter what you try, that child most likely will reach out for bio parents eventually. And make sure you are respectful and supportive if it happens whether the reunion is good or bad.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't understand your situation. How do you know there are alot of kids who have parents whose rights have already been terminated in your town? Is there a group home (a.k.a. modern orphanage) in your town or something?

Also, if the parents have already lost their rights, why is there still a hearing? Why are you going to a hearing for specific parents if you don't have a specific child "picked out" yet? I'm confused.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 2:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would do it!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2011