Camping Newbie here...

I am trying to plan a surprise camping adventure for my SO and my 5 year anniversary together. He loves to camp, and now that our DD is 2, I feel as though we can take her for her first trip too. But, I have been camping maybe a handful of times, and I have NO IDEA what I need to bring. I will have a suburban sized car, so I have room for whatever I need. I plan to borrow a tent from a friend, get firewood, food (what kind?), a cooler with water, clothes, and I have no idea what else I need to back in that car. And I dont want to ask SO or it will ruin the surprise. i want to be packed up friday night when he gets home from work...surprise! We leave at 5am!
Please help a camping newbie out! And bump please so I can get as much advice as I can. Seriously have no clue what I am doing :)

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 1:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Travel

• First off, this sounds like a GREAT suprise for your DH. My only caveat is that since he is such an avid camper, there may be things he really REALLY likes to take with him on these trips and that he'd feel naked without. Is there anyone who knows his camping style that you could ask so that you'd make sure not to leave something important out? If not, then after you have your "reveal" on Friday night, be prepared to give him a run-down of what you have packed so that he can make sure his "thing" is included.

I hope you all have a FABULOUS time!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Sleeping bags, cots or some kind of padding, hot dogs, sticks for roasting (I always just cut a branch from the place we were camping at, but they now have these telescoping "forks" that work just as well) the hot dogs and marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate bars for s'mores, Warm clothes for the morning time, cooler clothes for as it gets warmer, some kind of paper to help start the fire, instant oatmeal works well for breakfast, a few pots/pans to heat water, flashlight for those midnight bathroom trips, toys for your two year old, make sure the place you're going has designated fire pits, or you'll want to find river rocks to help keep the fire under control.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Smores are a must!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Matches, first aid kit, sun screen, bug spray. A mallet/hammer, plates, utensils, twine, bags for trash. Gosh my list could go on and on.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Mel: i need a detailed list! I am clueless!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Clothes pins, and rope for the clothes that get wet. if he has a Coleman stove and lantern also a must. Flashlights.Bread and PBJ is always good and easy for your little one if she gets hungry before you have time to cook. We alway also take small boxes of cereal and milk. If he uses a tripod for cooking you should also take that.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Dust pan, broom for cleaning out tent. Paper towels. If the ground might be wet a tarp is great to put down before you put the tent down. If you do air an air mattress you may want something to blow it up with. Flashlights or lanterns and extra batteries. Pillows, sleeping bags. Something to hold water to wash plates and dishes in. Soap, drying rags, wash rags. Drinking water, coolers, newspaper or something to start the first, matches, lighter. If you use matches put them in something water tight, think ziplock. Plates, silverware, aluminum foil, grilling utensils, trash bags, potholders, table cloth, cups, seasoning, salt and pepper. Clothes, make sure you pack a couple extra. Toiletries, towels. Toilet paper, and hand soap just in case. If you have electric at the camp sight then a cord for whatever you might want to plug in. Bug spray, sun screen, tylenole, bandaids, simple first aid things. Camping chairs
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• knife, small shovel. My husband would say a hatchet is a must. That is all I can think of off hand hope it helps.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It helps sooo much!! You have no idea. I wouldnt even have thought about HALF of those things! Thank you!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• simple smiletry googling what to bring on a camping trip in case we aren't thinking of anything mama! And have a wonderful time! Save me a smore....

purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 10:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2011