Any GOOD ideas on how to quit smoking without murdering everyone in site?

djavongirl

Asked by djavongirl at 1:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Health

• Well I gave my husband an ultimatium and that worked! I could give you one but that probably won't work.
    YellowBaby

Answer by YellowBaby at 10:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My husband quit years ago, and he simply went cold turkey. He knew it was a bad habit and he wanted to give it up, so he did. I don't know if it's that simple for everyone or not, but he did it. That's been more than 40 years ago, and he's never smoked again.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My husband also went cold turkey, about 18 years ago. Seeing his father dying of emphysema was quite the motivator.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i ve never smoked,but just wanted to say good luck,you will feel so much better,and think about the money you ve saved. ; 0
    houndlover

Answer by houndlover at 2:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I am a true addict and LOVED smoking and only cold turkey really worked for me - I stopped 20 months ago and it is still hard but my husband got skin cancer and he has terrible genetics with cancer all trhough them and it just scared me that both dad and I could die if I didn't stop and no one would be there for our son ) I still have my moments where I want to cave and I won't say it was easy or IS easy but it WILL be worth it for your little one/s
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I quit years ago. My DH and I quit at the same time -- we couldn't have succeeded if the other were still smoking.

What worked for us was weaning ourselves slowly, and taking vitamins to ease the cravings. I started by giving up the habit/situation smokes. First was the before morning coffee smoke, then the last thing before bed smoke. Every week, when I was getting used to the regular cigarette that I last gave up, I would take away another. The last month, I only had a cigarette after meals (about 3 a day). It wasn't easy, but it wasn't really THAT difficult. You have to make up your mind that you are going to do it. And NEVER cheat. Once you've dropped a cigarette (like the one while in the bathroom, or on the phone) don't smoke in that situation again.

You will still feel the urge sometimes, for a few years after you quit. But it is manageable. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Chantix (Champix in Canada) I hear is a good way, any of those nicotine patches and/or gums. I've never smoked so I don't know how much help I can be, but I WILL be cheering for you and hoping for success.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• @Yellow LOL
    djavongirl

Comment by djavongirl (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011