Guinea pig HELP

OK, we just got one a month ago. We've been gone for 2.5 weeks out of the time we have had him. Well we just found out yesterday through allergy testing that our son is allergic and badly so we had to get rid of him. Well luuckily we found someone last night to take him, an old elementary school friend of mine. She messaged me today though asking me about white bugs she saw on him. I didn't see them yesterday at all, I don't know how I missed that and I feel terrible! Well I did some research and it looks liks it could be guine pig lice (lynx). My question: how did he get this? Is it possible he has had this from the pet store and we just never caught it? The research I have done says it is not transferrable to and from humans, so he couldn't have gotten it from us (or us from him even, but I will still check us all) so I have no idea how he got it! And I am freaking out cuz what if she wants to give him back, I don't blame her but at the same time my son is allergic and I need him gone and to stay gone, kwim?! Any advice or insight or knowledge? Any advice or anything I can pass on to her?

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 2:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pets

• You can get ivermectin from a vet or farm supplies stores. I think Fleet Farm or Farm and Fleet should have it. You want the topical kind, not the injectin.

I would try flea and tick shampoo first, cheaper. Some pet stores might even have rabbit flea and tick shampoo, but dog shampoo will work. Make sure the water is warm, wet from the butt to the head. Fleas tend to go toward the head anyway. I would give it one bath and then a second bath the next day. You don't want to give them too many.

Most importantly, make sure you throw away all the beeding and food in the cage. Use vinegar to disinfect the cage, dish, water bottle.

Should work!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yes, it is highly likely that it came from the pet store with lice. It was probably carrying the eggs. You can use dog shampoo for getting rid of the lice or even shampoo mean to get rid of lice on people. Tell her to try using ivermectin.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Where can she get ivermectin? And dog shampoo like the kind for fleas?
    Mipsy

Comment by Mipsy (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Thank you, I will let her know.
    Mipsy

Comment by Mipsy (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011