Virginia carseat laws as of July 2010

A friend and I were talking about how she bought her 2yr old a booster seat for her 3yr birthday. I was shocked, last I checked, for a high back booster it was 4 or 40lbs. She said the box said 3 or 30lbs. So I decided to check it out. Here it is:

Child restraint devices are required for children through the age of seven (until 8th birthday). Safety seats must be properly used and approved by Department of Transportation standards. There is no height or weight requirement associated with this law. The Virginia law is based solely on age

If that's the case, my dd can be in one now. (She's in a 5point right now)

There Are differnet ways to interpret this...how do you?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I read it as long as you are using the car seat/booster seat according to the manufacturers instructions than legally you can switch the sooner. That does not mean they are anywhere near as safe.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Both of my kids moved to booster seats on their third birthday. The carseat with the 5-point harness was just too small for them, especially in the shoulders. They also met the minimum weight requirements for the booster at 3.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I live in Virginia. My four year old uses a booster but my three year old is still in a five point. She will unbuckle a booster and the added head support is necessary cause driving still makes her pass out. Maybe next year I'll put her in a booster. She's so small for her age though?
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• my daughter is 4. We live in Florida and legally she could be in a booster but i still have her harnessed b/c it is much safer her carseats go to 48 in and 65lbs right now she is about 42 in and 35 lbs and i plan on keeping her in the carseat as long as i can.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I had a fit on my sister when she tried to put her 3 y/o in a booster because the WalMart employee told her it would be ok. My nephew is a PAIN IN THE BUTT and will unbuckle himself and just do whatever he wants. She returned and got him a 5pt harness.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• my children have been in the recommended size and style of car seat/booster seat all along and my youngest is still in a 5 point harness style seat
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2011