My boys are playing violent games, what can i do to keep them away from that stuff?

My sons are 11 and 8, and play games on the internet that are terribly violent. I've tried blocking them, but not all of the websites will block. I haven't tried punishing them yet, but all they talk about is killing people and cutting off body parts. Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle this!

tlover1017

Asked by tlover1017 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't let them online unless you're RIGHT THERE

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Keep them off the computer.. Set rules.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Don't let them online. If they play regular video games (on a console) read the labels of the ones they get and don't let them get ones higher than a certain rating.
    You are the parent, you set the rules!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I agree with the first post. I used to sell computers and you'd be surprised how naive how parents can be about this sort of thing. Thinking they can keep their kids away from the sites they didn't like, or that they could tell my the history.

Most 8 year olds can erase and trace of where they've been in a matter of seconds.

I was asked all the time what could they do to ensure their kids safety on the internet. I always said: "don't let them use the internet alone. "

I think it's great that you don't want them playing those kind of games. I won't allow those first person shooter games in the house at all. the guys I used to work with would play those games and it made me sick to just watch them play!

good for you!
    Anonymous

• It sounds like they need an EXTENSIVE cool down period with no computer access whatsoever.

in the meantime get them in some kind of class with discipline and respect like a boys hip hop, martial arts, yoga, or a kid friendly gym.... ANYTHING really. they will need something to fill the void while they quite literally withdrawl from gaming
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• PS if they relent or push you too far then take the PC to the pawn shop and trade it for a laptop which you can use as needed for yourself and easily lock in the trunk of your car when done with it. my mom did the very thing when I was a teen. (although she locked the mouse and keyboard only)

I could then do chores, cleaning, reading, essays, etc and earn 1 minute of computer time per minute of work/chores
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Can you ask them to switch to a more age-appropriate game. Today we stopped by Game Stop (video games store). It was half-day school day. In the store I saw children about the same ages as your sons. These children were playing a Wrestling Game. I think it was Play Station Console. The kids were having so much fun. I just don't know if their parents would approve their kids playing video games after school???????
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• First of all, violent games aren't going to hurt your kids... That said, if it's really an issue don't let them online to play them. Believe it or not, it's that simple. Or at least when they are at home.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Do not let them online. Seems pretty simple to me. shrugs.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• block the sites and change your passwords. most of these sites have parental controls
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2011