Are we doing the right thing?

we had a waterpark hotel trip booked for tomorrow.... a carry over I.O.U b-day gift from our daughter turning 5 last week. we were exhausted from her ballet and hip hop dance recitals and her brothers kindergarten graduation so we took a "week off" and planned it for wed/thurs this week which are daddys days off work. about 36 hours ago our son disobeyed and rode his skateboard with no gear just his bike helmet. as luck would have it he wiped up and tore his legs and hands to shreds. I took him to the pediatrician to make sure there was no embedded gravel and to learn how to care for it, since it's weepy gross wounds. of course I asked about a pool and dr said no way. Husband is insisting on rescheduling the trip til when we can all enjoy it, daughter is heart broken. son has enough built in punishments (No biking, wearing shorts, sprinkler or slip & slide, etc) til his wounds heal. I agree it seems AWFUL to make him sit on a chair and watch his sister have a good time. Thoughts? We struggle with equality/fairness since we were both only children, this is foreign to us

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would let you dd decide but if she decides to wait suggest something you can do with her special, just for her for waiting.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Honestly, it sounds horrible, and he will probably feel horrible, but he needs to learn about suffering consequences when you don't obey and this happens to be one of them. It's also not fair to your daughter who did nothing.
    Anonymous

• i say go,he messed up,not daughter,maybe next time he will learn to listen to rules. good luck.
    houndlover

Answer by houndlover at 2:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I would wait until you can all enjoy it!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'm torn. On one hand yes it would make him feel bad to have to watch everyone else have fun. On the other hand he knew he was supposed to have his gear on and chose not to put it on. I think I'd feel horrible for him to be hurt like that but worse for my daughter who has to put off the rest of her present because her brother didn't do what he knew he was supposed to. Either way one of the kids will be upset, at least for a bit. I think you're damned if you and if you don't. I guess my final decision would be decided by how long the trip would have to be put off for him to heal to be able to be in the pool. If it is a small time I'd reschedule.
    Anonymous

• How old is your son?
    Anonymous

• Wow, that is tuff. Well, my mom raised 4 kids by herself and I have two little ones but with my loving husband. I know my mom and myself wouldn't take him along to a big water park, however if it was just to the local pool or something like that, yes he should sit out. You mention that you took away everything until his wounds heal - well duh (lol) of course those have to be taken away until his wounds heal because if he did any of those he'd scream in pain. Where is his punishment he will learn from? You should post pone the waterpark trip BUT do something extremely special local for your daughter on the days you were going to go to the water park and have your son sit out during that event.
    YellowBaby

Answer by YellowBaby at 2:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Ehhh... I think wiping out and getting hurt WERE the consequences of not wearing the proper gear, especially since he is sidelined until he heals.
    If it is possible to reschedule sometime soon I would. Maybe you can take your daughter to do something just for her this week, without the boys, so she still gets to do something fun and centered on her.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I asked my husband about this one since he's grown up with siblings. He sees both sides of this one too. His point was your daughter and her age. He feels she's not QUITE old enough to understand why it has to be put off for longer.

Good luck sorting through this sticky situation.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Well, what if this were a non refundable trip? What would you do then, go, or eat the money? You would go. What if he had an accident and broke his leg? Life happens. If you DD is young, then a week or so won't kill her, she will get over it, maybe do a little something to perk her up in the meantime. But if you were to go, he would indeed learn a hard lesson on why you ask him to do the things you do.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2011