Netflix question Please--Do you have Netflix 'stream instantly'? (i.e) Blu-Ray, Roku, PS3, Wii--

Originally we just had a plain Netflix account by mail for about $5.99. for 2 dvd's out a mo.

Then, I saw that for a few dollars more a month($8.99mo)(3 dvd's out at a time)you could actually stream the videos and not wait on dvd by mail so much... or so I thought. To me, that's how the offer seemed on the tv commercial. So, I purchased the Roku box.($99.00-one time) We do not have any of the other systems we could have used for streaming.

I was under the impression that you could watch 1,000's of movies through streaming. Turns out...there are 1,000's but mostly there are older movies, only some new some of the time....it's very limited selection of movies...and to watch the really good movies..you still have to get those dvd by MAIL only. I don't understand why the membership and the box doesn't allow you to have access to every video they have. This is where I'm trying to find out if we're missing something here. Say for example, I want to watch "harry potter and the sorcerers stone-2002.  It's by dvd only...even though it's pretty old.  This we don't understand and were just surprised why you couldn't stream it. 

Anyway...we are not complaining per say....just trying to figure out if this is how it really works for everyone regardless of what system you use for streaming or which package you pay for. ***

So, the choices are LIMITED to an extent with streaming instantly. Right?

DOES anyone else out there have the Netflix stream instantly and is there something I'm missing here in understanding how it works?? Do YOU have access to every movie they have to stream instantly to your tv or do you also find that it's limited and you still have to get the more current movies dvd by mail?.

(they also raised the rate in Jan '11  from $8.99mo to $19.99mo)  Still 3dvd's out at a time and streaming.  I thought that was huge increase.

I've thought about cancelling(checking out Blockbuster) but want to find out first if there is something I don't know about with the streaming to tv. Thank You for your answers (in advance)!!  ;)

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 2:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Technology

• We turned off the cable and only stream Netflix. It is 7.99 just for the streaming, 9.99 for streaming and mail.

They don't stream alot of current movies . . . but we mainly like the nature shows and documentaries . . . .don't mind ordering the new releases through mail.

My guess is that they have limited "space" to hold the movies to stream. I notice that some titles actually drop off, which tells me that when capacity hits, they make choices.

I don't mind the set-up, however, I do expect that Netflix will need to update to increase capacity, and, will eventually raise the price.

You can supplement with Vudu . . . they have excellent quality, but are more expensive.

Also check out Hulu Plus.

In the next 5 years, we will have many more and better choices, and cable will turn pretty much into an internet provider-only.

Hang in there.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have Netflix and there are THOUSANDS of titles - movies and TV - that is available to watch. But not all of them! Personally I would opt out of the DVDs if I had the option, we never watch them anyways, there is TONS of great stuff on the instant watch. Just not the really really new stuff.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We stream Netflix through the Xbox 360. The reason everything isn't available for streaming is: due to licensing issues, due to conversion to streaming format.. Each production company must approve licensing for streaming on each movie they have available. So, not all production companies are going to ok all films at once, that would cut into their profit margin. Then each title's format must be converting into a streaming format. There are new titles becoming available all the time, some titles are available for awhile (due to a limited licensing agreement) and then no longer available. Sometimes new(er) movies are available for a limited time, it's a catch as catch can type thing. The best way to always know what is available is to always check the "New Release" section online on the computer, all of the new releases and available titles are not seen through streaming via the tv only select titles are posted.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We use the Wii to stream Netflix. They have TONS of movies to watch instantly but I'm sure they would be losing money if they were to put every title they offer online.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'm pleased with the choices on Netflix streaming--many of them are BBC shows or old series I never got a chance to watch. If you are wanting all the "latest and greatest", you'll have to order the DVDs.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We watch Netflix through the Wii and there is a limited selection, but we just watch whatever is available. Hasn't been a problem here.

Answer by missanc at 2:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• they dont offer all of the videos instantly because if you want the good ones by mail, you have to buy a better package which costs more therefore they make more money.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We have Netflix that we stream on our computers and through our Wii. We just have the $7.99 plan and there are a lot of movies and tv shows to watch. Yes, there are movies I want to watch that are DVD only but for now we're okay with what we've got. It's cheaper than satellite and I've seen all kinds of movies that I never would have gotten to otherwise now that video stores have finally thrown in the towel pretty much everywhere. We might upgrade to the mail plan too later on but I'm thrilled to have what we do.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I have it streaming through a ps3. I was disappointed as well. But at least they are fast at sending the movies in the mail. We were paying for all of the movie channels on cable hbo, showtime, starz, and whatever else and they play the same movies for the longest time and it became rare that there were ever any good ones! So we cancelled and signed up for netflix. We use the tv series as well. And I line up several movies at a time so I don't have to worry about it for a while. If you don't use it enough to be worth paying for it I'd get rid of it. Keep in mind it's summer it may become more handy!
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You must get several out at a time. I only get one out at a time and stream instantly for $10 and some change (with the price increase). And yes, most movies are older (30 years ago up to last year), but there are some very recent ones too. I mainly use it for the t.v. shows and documentaries they offer and for children's shows. We get plenty of use out of Netflix and it's actually given me the chance to watch some movies I would have never seen otherwise. I love Netflix and can't say enough good things about it :o)

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 3:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011