Baby momma drama

My step sons mother insists on calling everytime she's board I think. She told my step son that he doesn't have to listen to me, he can't say he loves me, and I was being ridiculous by making him ask for things instead of letting him do his usual point and make a noise or demand it. He is 5 yrs old he does not need to point and make noises to get what he wants. She has entitlement issues and my hubby has tried talking to her. What are some other ways we can handle this?

fancypantswife

Asked by fancypantswife at 2:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• There really isnt much other than maybe going to court and getting everything in black and white. We got everything in our court order right down to how many times a day you can call, no bad mouthing, no asking questions, shoot my ex cant even ask what the kids have for dinner not that I care if he does. But the point is you have to have it down or she will do what she wants. At the same time it also protects her and if she has entitlement issues (and my ex also does) you can present it in a way where it is to protect her and benefit her.

Answer by gemgem at 2:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'd make a point to him to say "I love you and I love getting to spend time with you! Is there anything special you'd like for breakfast??" It might be awkward to be specifically told he cannot say he loves you, that is so creepy.

I'd say something like "unless it's a parenting related issue or an emergency, please don't call for chit chat! I am busy making sure the kids have a fun afternoon and every time the phone rings we have to stop what we're doing"
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If she says that the mom can take her back to court and try and say she is interfering with her relationship with her child. Been there done that. Its best to document it all and go to court and make her look stupid.

Answer by gemgem at 2:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think your husband should remind her that it is HIS house, and when at HIS house the child will follow the "house rules" (like verbally asking for something and not point and grunt). Unless he has a disability, he is old enough at 5 to understand he needs to ask, and to "use his words" to get what he wants. I think husband should also remind her that he does not call her and tell her what to do in HER house, so she needs to show him the same consideration. He should also tell her that she can't call all the time, she can only call at specified times, and only if it is important. Otherwise I would suggest documenting (or maybe even recording her wacko calls) and use that against her in court. You could also get caller ID and screen her calls.... Hmmmm maybe if she keeps it up husband should turn it around and start calling HER about every little thing and tell HER how she is to parent in her own home! Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Get caller id and don't answer the phone?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• They can't not answer the phone, it is her child and she has the right to talk to him.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You can't record calls unless you ask permission first. Is this COed visitation? If so, there is usually something set up in the CO as to how often she can call, if not or if it is not COed, she can call when she pleases. How often are the visits? What is the custody?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The child is five years old and in need of someone showing him positive behavior. At five years old, he shouldn't grunt for anything, he should ask for what he wants clearly...With that being said, this is your house, your rules, if your husband allows her to dictate to him how to run his household, then she'll continue doing as she pleases...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Can we say kid games? Has she always done this or is it new? If it just started it'll only be temp, it's just to get under your skin.
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• you can let your husband handle things and don't push it too much. looks like all the other answers have you covered
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 3:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011