My dog's fur is falling out!

He's going to the vet. In the meantime, I've been trying to figure out what is causing this. He is a 5 yr old American Bulldog, and has never had a skin issue before now. His fur (on his back) is thinning and falling out...and it seems like it's in patches. I've looked at most of the spots he will sit still long enough for me to see, and he doesn't have any inflamation, redness, scabs, or rashy spots. It just looks like normal skin. He has been itching, but there are ZERO fleas in our home or on his body. None of our pets have mange. What could this be???

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 3:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Pets

• Could be food allergies or environmental allergies.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• or shedding
    eyrich_baby012

Answer by eyrich_baby012 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Sounds like it might be demodectic mites, which live in the hair follicles and feed on them, causing bald spots. Usually this happens in an animal whose immune system has already been compromised. My dog had them when we brought her home from the shelter & she was very sick. The bald spots are often permanent, but we got lucky & her hair grew back on her leg.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Oh no :( I hope it's not that! We've had him for 4 of his 5 years. We have another dog and they sleep together. She doesn't have any balding at all. Would that be contageous? In the 4 yrs we've had him, he has never shedded to baldness so I don't think it's just common shedding.
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It could be mange, fleas, ringworm, hot spot, who knows. Sometimes, if the animal is allergic to fleas you won't find fleas on them because they are so sensitive that when the flea bites the animal immediately bites the area and gets the flea.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011