Do babies/ toddlers have nightmares?

Last night my 16 month old daughter woke up in the middle of the night crying and screaming her precious eyes out ( she never wakes up in the middle of the night) I went into her room to get her ,when I picked herup she grabbed and and wouldnt let go. I put her to bed with me and she was fine. So now Im wondering..I know everyone has dreams/nightmares but a baby having nightmares ?

KendallsMommie1

Asked by KendallsMommie1 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes at any age of life a person could have nightmares. do u believe in gost or spirits at all?
    eyrich_baby012

Answer by eyrich_baby012 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• No I really dont believe in stuff like that but I guess anything is possible
    KendallsMommie1

Comment by KendallsMommie1 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't know what ghosts have to do with it, but I think she could have had a bad dream. Why not?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yes, they're usually called Night Terrors at this age. They're not really awake and you're not supposed to wake them. Let me tell you though, they sure have given ME some gray hairs, and taken a few years off my life, hearing that blood-curdling scream coming from one of my kids.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• When I went into her room she was awake tho. she was standing in her crib crying and screaming like never before
    KendallsMommie1

Comment by KendallsMommie1 (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• yes they are called night terrors...my son has had a few! scary stuff for everyone involved!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 4:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My son has had a couple... I'm not sure how old he was when he had his first one, probably 20 months or so, found him in his room screaming at his closet. The most recent one he woke up screaming, we went to check on him and he ran down the stairs looking in the sink and garbage can because he thought we threw away Grandma! He was beside himself.... saddest thing I ever saw.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• WOW!! I hope this doesnt happen again but now I am going to prepare myself for it. I was looking up stuff and what I read night terrors can get really bad :(
    AmiJanell- Im sorry to hear that about your son. I hope thing get better for him if they havent already.
    KendallsMommie1

Comment by KendallsMommie1 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My dd had night terrors. It was horrible, she would just start screaming in the middle of the night.
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 4:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I think DD does. She's 18's mos old. She's had a few times where she's woken up just screaming and screaming and clinging to me. It's scary when it happens because you don't know what's wrong and you don't know how to help them
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 6:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2011