Is it cheaper to be vegetarian? Some say it is some say it isn't. I would be fine to give up meat of economic purposes...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• If you grew most of your own veggies.
    Anonymous

• It depends what your idea of being a vegetarian is. I worked with this one person and she thought that being a vegetarian was only candy bars and diet pepsi.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It's only cheaper like PP said if you grow your own fruits and veggies....produe can be just as expensive as meat,but it is healthier and if you already eat alot of fruits and veggies in your meals then skipping the meat would save on some cost but you would have to get your protien through soy,beans and/or tofu which if you don;t eat too much of is another added expence so again it's not really cheaper
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• no. I mean doing beans and cheese and stuff instead of meat. Like lots of veggies and wheat pasta and beans. you know black bean patties and bean tacos and spaghetti with more veggies and no meats in it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• not tofu tofu is nasty looking to me. lol. but beans is only a dollar and meat is like 5 or more. Its crazy. we eat lots of veggies and fruit already and lots of stuff is in season right now and cheap. I grow my own herbs thats it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• depends on how you do it. if you eat frozen vegetables and get the protein from things like dehydrated protein and all that, then it could be less or break about even.
    but if you buy a lot of the 'convenience' vegetarian products, then I'd look for the food bill to go up.

I use to eat all vegetarian foods. I didn't buy the convenience stuff much and our bill went down.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I would think that giving up meat and becoming a vegetarian would take a bit of better reasoning than economic reasons. Mostly because no it isn't cheaper to go vegetarian. Most vegetarians try to at least eat healthier veggies, such as organic. Everyone who buys organic (including me) knows that it costs double!!!!! Which is outrageous if you ask me.
    Tamara0383

Answer by Tamara0383 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• It can be. Some people say vegetarian when they really mean something like organic or raw foods or "clean eating" or even vegan. Mixing more meatless meals into your regular rotation of meal planning is always one of the top suggestions for saving money, but you still have to have saving money as your focus. Going meatless, but then compensating by using 5 different kinds of all organic, out of season fresh produce that cost 5 times what they would in season is defeating the purpose. On the other hand, when you see your local farmstand is bursting with local morels and asparagus, it makes sense to plan a few nights of pasta in mushroom sauce with asparagus on the side.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• That said - you can absolutely be all organic vegan and do it for less, if you want. You just have to be smart about it, not buying whatever you feel like buying as long as it says "organic" on the label.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2011