Coupons and food stamps

I am on food stamps I get $356 a month for my family of 5. Please don't judge, we are only eligible for it because I was laid off from my teaching job after the end of last year and my ex (who is supposed to pay child support for my oldest in the amount of $550 a month) quit his job, now lives with his mother working under the table so I can't get anything from him, it's been over a year but because child support enforcement is so backed up, it will probably be another year before they do anything more, they have taken my ex's driver's license but that's all. Well I was at the store checking out. I do coupon (not extreme coupon lol) but if I know something is BOGO, I will bring in maybe 6 coupons to get 6 of the items. I went to the store with 27 coupons, including the store coupon. Well after they scanned my coupons I used my EBT card to pay for the groceries. The women behind me said LOUDLY, "you are already getting this shit for free, why use coupons". I said "because that is the way I can buy all the food my family needs, I have my bachelor's degree but I am a teacher who lives in a county where they are laying off teachers left and right, and I was one who got laid off. Then thanks to our lovely court system, my ex gets to go years without paying child support. Am I wrong to use coupons? I feel at least I am not one of those women bitching that I don't get enough food stamps, I use what we get and I make it work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• No you are not wrong, i would've went off on here for that. Nothing is wrong with trying to make them streach as much as you can because food is not cheap anymore.
    I think i would call the manager and turn her in for that.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• No you are NOT wrong to use coupons......you did not owe that rude woman any explanation, I would have turned around and said "Mind your own business"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I'm on food stamps too and we use coupons. I want to make good use out of them. My family is in the same situation you are in. I find nothing wrong with it...in fact, I see it as appreciating more what you have been given. Good for you!
    Anonymous

• You rock Mama! Way to make the money stretch as far as possible. I can only hope that the rude woman finds herself in a similar situation one day so that she can gain some empathy.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I get FS and I use coupons...i teat it just like it was coming out of my own pocket because the less i spend the less I will have to spend in money when my FS runout...it was none of her business!!!!!
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I think it's great that you use coupons. I don't know how I would begin to feed a family of 5 on that amount. How do you do it? It also irritates me that your ex is not taking resposibility for his kids.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Girl, don't worry about what another person thinks... there are other people out there that don't even know about cafemom and are in the same boat. we share, we are different in many ways... life is hard for a lot of people.... you can only do the best you can... don't look for another one's opinion. God has the answers... you hold your head up and when you are ready and find a way... you go for it!!

going thru life...
    miamoma

inbox me... helping teachers help themselves
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 3:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Thanks everyone! Jcm, well I use coupons and I buy what's on sale and make meals out of that. We eat very healthy because that's cheaper. My ex is only the father of one of my children but still that's $550 I should be getting (more then I get in food stamps).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't know what her problem is. You have EVERY reason to use some coupons.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I am on food stamps and I use coupons. It makes them go further. Just ignore the rude people. I have learned to.
    mollgirl59

Answer by mollgirl59 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011