Parenting strategy change after 1st child?

A lot of people realize "mistakes" they made with their first child and vow to not make then with other children -- did you change anything? What and why.

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have a 3 y/o and soon to be 1 y/o twins. I was so strict, with my first, about things like schedule, tv, sleep, etc. When my twins came along I suddenly went into survival mode. Now we just go with the flow and try to make it through each day.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 4:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• lol -- Kim -- do you see any difference in your children's behaviors due to your change?
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• There was nothing dramatic that I changed, but I did learn to pick my battles a lot more and generally loosened up as a mom. With my first I got mad or frazzled about things that really didn't matter that much... I was a lot easier on my next two kids (and believe me, the oldest doesn't let me forget it!)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• There were things we said we were going to do differently, like let our second self soothe instead of rocking her to sleep every night, yeah that didn't happen.I am easier on the second but I am not sure if it's because she is the second or because she is so difficult I just pick my battles.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yes, all subsequent children get to do whatever they want....I give up. Run with scissors, watch t.v. all day, eat candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mommy's tired.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• No, nothing changed between my 1st and my 5th.

Answer by missanc at 8:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Many things, I wish I could have enjoyed my first like I did the 4 that followed. You are much more relaxed..a veteran if you will. Let's face it. The first one you wish you could wrap in bubble wrap, the second one..you let the juggle knives. I think there is 1 child and more than one child no other numbers. If you have 2 you may as well have 22.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2011