Will an apple tree thrive and grow almost anywhere?

The reason for my question is, my grandmother passed away in April and to honor her memory we want to plant her favorite tree (apple) out in the woods, a place my family has gone camping for years and years. We are going to place a plague and spread her ashes there. We live in Oregon, so we get lots of rain and sunlight in the summer. I want the tree to grow and thrive, and the animals to eat the apples...but do you think this will work? If not, what other tree can you suggest? Thank you for your help.

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 4:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Apple trees are pretty hardy, but a young tree is fair game when grazing is limited. Mice, rabbits, and deer enjoy the tender bark of a young apple tree. I'd recommend placing a tree guard around the trunk, possibly even a woven wire fence around the whole tree for several years.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• You could give it a try - ask the nursery which tree is the hardiest.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• http://www.arborday.org/ has great prices and information and there prices get cheaper if you are a member! Hope this helps.
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 1:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011