Do you own your own Carpet Cleaner? If so, which one and how do you like it?

I'm looking into possibly buying my own carpet cleaner.
I live in a small town in the country and our carpet cleaning options are just worse than limited. There is one business in town who does all the apartment carpets but he's just not very good. I think his equipment is worn out actually.
If someone comes from a larger town, say, 45 mi away..they charge $80 just for coming plus the fee per room. I have 3 rooms with carpet only, the rest is tile/hardwoods.
So, I would like to just have my own carpet cleaner to save the headache and money over time and also to have the freedom to clean my carpets as much as I want to.

Would you please tell me about the cleaner you have and how you like it. If you think it does excellent job,(met your expectations) or could be better. Pros and Cons for the money you spent. I would love to have actual testimonies from Moms who have them before I make this choice because they aren't exactly inexpensive.

**I'm looking for more than the spot cleaners(like Spot Bot) though, just fyi.

Whatever info you can offer I'd be very grateful. I'm deciding this week.
Thanks so much for your help. :)

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 4:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Well, DH and I own a carpet cleaning business....we use a low moisture method. Steam cleaning/shampooing can wear down the fibers and cause mold and mildew growth. If you wanted a machine that would give you professional results and use a very similar method as ours I'd recommend the Oreck Orbitor. You can find it on their site. And it can be used on all floors as well....so you'd get more use out of it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Yes, we have a Galaxy carpet extractor http://cleaning-equipment.net/galaxy.htm  It was expensive at $1700, but our carpet was expensive and I want to keep it looking good. My husband does a lot of favors for friends and neighbors and also makes some money from it for his business, so it was well worth it.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Thank You both for your answers!! I'm closing Questions that have been hanging open on my list for awhile now.
    They were both very helpful and I wouldn't mind being able to make a little extra cash with a good carpet cleaner either.
    :D
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2011