Settlement for medical error?

have you ever had a settlement oppose to gone to court?

when they were ready to offer a amount did you hear from there insurance or the hospital themself? got a call today that there insurance company would be in contact tomorrow, they have acknowledged wrong doing, there error has resulted in something that no medicine or surgery can cure, if you have ever had an experience with this id love to know because im going through it and have no idea what to expecgt

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Health

• I haven't experienced something like this to the extent that you have but just out of a justice thing, I would want proof & acknowledgment that they've admitted to doing wrong & that something was going to be done about it so it doesn't happen again. Good Luck
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My great uncle went thru something like this 20 years ago where a nurse gave him an overdose of a pain med, leaving him with brain damage. The settlement was free medical care the rest of his life (about 7 years).

Sorry I don't have much advice, but I know they found it much less stressful than going through the courts.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• thanx, i have mixed feelings on if i want to settle, i could sue the pants off of them, but i lack the money and even to get a attorney (i have one in case, and ready to go, but at this time we have been handeling without) so to use an attorney that doesnt get paid unless recovery, they all want a pretty nice chunck, sueing them will not fix my issue, its something i will just need to deal with as it isnt fixable with any surgery, my hubby wants to go to court, but due to this we are ina bad fincail bind and I need the money now, sueing them wont change the outcome of my pain or suffering, this has been a heck of a experience lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Before you even listen to what they have to say (they will record you) Call a personal injury lawyer and do it now! They will not expect money up front, but will take a portion of what you get, the fact that they called you, is a GREAT sign, and you probably will not have to go to court,, I had a really good case for medical malpractice involving my first pregnancy, and didn't do anything because I was suffering so much, but let me tell you they pay the insurance for a reason, they are human an make mistakes,, please DO not talk to them until you get a lawyer,, BTW,, they should only want between 20-25% of your settlement, if you get one that wants more, get up and walk out of the lawyers. I am so sorry for whatever happened to you.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Before you even listen to what they have to say (they will record you) Call a personal injury lawyer and do it now! They will not expect money up front, but will take a portion of what you get, the fact that they called you, is a GREAT sign, and you probably will not have to go to court,, I had a really good case for medical malpractice involving my first pregnancy, and didn't do anything because I was suffering so much, but let me tell you they pay the insurance for a reason, they are human an make mistakes,, please DO not talk to them until you get a lawyer,, BTW,, they should only want between 20-25% of your settlement, if you get one that wants more, get up and walk out of the lawyers.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2011