GM chief wants federal gov't to RAISE gas taxes by as much as $1 a gallon!!!

He says that will "nudge" us into buying their more fuel efficient cars.

Detroit — General Motors Co. CEO Dan Akerson wants the federal gas tax boosted as much as $1 a gallon to nudge consumers toward more fuel-efficient cars, and he's confident the government will soon shed its remaining 26 percent stake in the once-bankrupt automaker.

Yeah, that will help! If you're having trouble filling the tank now, let's raise the cost by $1 a gallon to try and force you to pay out more money you don't have in either fuel costs or to buy a new car you don't want.
Thoughts??

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 4:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• GM chief can blow it out his ass. I wouldn't buy one of their cars anyway.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Idiot, good luck with that
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I will never own another GM vehicle in my life.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• We have 2 and I love them, but I'm leaning towards a Ford next time!

Actually most all our vehicles have been chevys. We had one chrysler but I wasn't impressed with it.
    DSamuels

Comment by DSamuels (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I would walk before driving a GM vehicle.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 4:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• What a jerk.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I do actually walk and bike most of the time in warmer weather. In the winter a car is a necessity here in Iowa. So I would rather walk in two feet of snow than drive a GM vehicle.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 4:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Look at how raising the prices of cars worked ... the auto industry almost crashed and burned. He's an idiot.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Well i'm an idiot, I have a GM car LOL. Excuse my lack of brain function today, i meant i'll never buy another! ha. We have always stuck to Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai/Kia. I had a lack in judgement a couple yrs ago and got a car based on how it looked. It's so far set a record for the number of recall notices i have received.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• WTF do they expect people to do with the cars that they already have? Take a loss on trade? I mean, if gas prices go up then even new car dealers can't get rid of the 'gas guzzlers' so they either don't take them or they give very little for them on trade. So I guess with all of that disposable income people have they will run out and buy some GM hybrid vehicle? Or considering the state of our economy, inflation and the fact that things aren't improving will those with disposable income put their money aside to make sure to be able to pay their bills? I'm going with the latter.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2011