How to sooth a ear ache in a 6 year old.

I don't want to take her to the dr because last 2 times I took her they said they like to see if it goes away on its own before giving medication well last time and this time she is crying it hurts and holding her ear all though our dd is a drama queen makes things seem worse than they are. They said last time it was a little red but not enough to give meds for. So they sent her home. So I don't want to make another app. and pay for that they are just going to send her home. She is crying, but she makes a big deal out of everything so honestly I don't think she is in that much pain I believe her ear might burt, but I don't think it hurts as bad as she says. What can I give her for the pain to see if it goes away on its own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

• well first if a doc does nothing for an ear infection its not a good doc even if they dont give antibiotics they do make ear drops that are for pain. my dd gets ear aches a lot because her ear canal is shaped odd and so the doc gave us drops to make them feel better while they heal them selves. also if its not an infection (IF IT IS AN INFECTION THIS WOULD HURT) peroxide in the ear would clean them up. our ds had to do that after bathing almost every time for a few years.

takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 4:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Have her lay with her ear on a heating pad or hot water bottle. It always worked for me. Good luck! Hope she feels better soon.
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• she seen a diffrent dr that day cause her dr wasn't available, but he didn't give her anything. I think her dr would have, but I am not sure. I do have ear drops that is supose to numb the ear that she got either last summer or the summer before last for a bad ear infection from the ER and I was only to use it as needed she was also on meds for that one, but I still have some left, but when I called last time they told me not to put anything into her ear until the dr sees it. It was given to her so I don't see why I couldn't give it to her. If it is an infection will it heal on its own? I think she would still cry if we did that even if it doesn't hurt. Because we did that before and she started screaming i think because of the noise it was making
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I can't find our heating pad I looked everywhere and we don't have a hot water bottle
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• When my kids had ear infections or ear pain I got a warm, wet washcloth and put it on their ear. The warm, moist heat helped. I hope your little one feels better soon!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• garlic oil, or if you can find it Wally's ear oils. have her lay on her side, place a few drops in ear, and let it sit for about 10 min, then massage her neck from just under the ear, down the side of her neck. afterwards place a warm compress around the back of her neck to encourage drainage. Have her sleep elevated till she is feeling better. Laying flat on her back places more pressure on her ear, and will cause more discomfort. Does she have any sinus issues?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Childrens Motrin for starters. Maybe she has a low pain threshold...I would not let her suffer.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2011