Gardening and Yardwork

I just moved into my first house! And I know nothing about yardwork or gardening, other than I know I want a garden, not a huge huge thing, but at least to make the house look nice other than green out front, to add color I guess. Being winter right now, is there anything I need to do now, to get ready for spring? Or if you can also direct me to a great group on the subject I would be greatly appreciative!

momofana82

Asked by momofana82 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I don't know of any groups but if you go to your local green house they will walk you around and show you wha tworks and what to do during this season. I love the free consultations there =)
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 3:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I LOVE gardening and landscaping!! First question I have is what state do you live in so I know what zone your in?
    Then I can give you a list of what plants do best in your area and show you how to prepare the soil.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 7:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Congrats! I know that some bulbs need to be planted in the winter/fall time for spring blooms. And also as far as the grass goes, some people put fertilizers down in the fall time for next summer. Good luck with everything!!
    mikeysmommy0829

Answer by mikeysmommy0829 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes if you want tulips or crocus or iris they are bulbs and need to "winter over" before they bloom. So if the ground is not frozen there now would be the time to plant them. Just plant deep so no critters such as squirrles get them.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• tomatoes are really easy to grow. Just get something like a stake that it can climb and keep it watered. It will do the rest!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 5:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2008