• In the Spotlight:

How can a dicipline my 7 year old Boy, He's having trouble in school?

I am a christian mom age 30 with a 7 year old boy. My son has passion and fire is a very good boy with a big heart but is having trouble in school. He is goofing off in class, rough housing on the playground and does not know when to stop, kissing a girl at recess... I need help with him, I feel like I've tryed everything including disipline from Grandpa and mama (since his father is not in the pic.) Can someone help?

Jenniferceleste

Asked by Jenniferceleste at 3:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Lay down the rules. Have a meeting with him (so to speak) and tell him what is acceptable and what is not. Lay out the consequences for each offense so he is aware of what can happen. Then be consistant.

Answer by gemgem at 3:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Also find out if he is bored in class. Maybe he isn't being challenged enough.If he is bored he will get into trouble to get rid of the boredom.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Sometimes kids can't express themselves with words. so maybe its his way of crying out for attention. I have a eight year old who was doing the same thing last year. I was a workaholic. i would leave at le six am and come home to put him to bed... his dad isn't around as either. Remember you are his everything his mom and dad and as hard as that is at times. Trust me I know you want him to be about to come to you when he has a problem. When I talked to him he opened up about what he was feeling sad, alone, and needy. Start with simple questions.. how was school today?? see where it goes. Try to have some quality time together even if its just reading him a book at night. Hope this is helpful
    dimples367

Answer by dimples367 at 12:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My son is 7 and has A.D.D/A.D.H.D he is on Strattera to calm him down in school and it also helps him focus better. I talk to my sons teacher at least 2 times a month if not sometimes more,talk to his teacher often as possible,have her write things down that he does that is inapropriate behavior,a punishment may be to keep him in at recess to do work and have teacher explain untill he acts better on the playgroung he is to stay in,I told my sons teacher to keep him in at recess if his work is not finished by recess time,believe me he will do better,,kids HATE to miss recess,its tough love and I know he is smart and he will get better but I would keep the discipline AT school, that is the teachers job and also the playground supervisors,if he acts up on the playground,send him inside,it wont hurt him but to get him to understand that what he is doing is wrong,he will be o.k,talk to the teacher once a week at first then less oft
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 2:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2009