WHY should I be made to feel guilty?

I understand that our military does a LOT for our country. The last I checked there hasn't been a draft. Since there is no draft, EVERYONE that is in the military willingly signed up and understood what the job entailed. Correct me if I am wrong on that. Now, why should I be made to feel guilty when I don't necessarily want to donate to sponsor a soldier at this particular time in my life? My husband is a vet, I understand this whole military thing. I know the benefits, I know the incentives, I know the discounts spouses get, I know the other things that are given to help out these families. I work for a law firm.....90% of the people here are vets . I get a phone call today asking if she could speak to someone about donations. Granted I am not allowed to push these calls through. I told her so. She went on a rant about how our soldiers sacrfice so much and blah blah blah....I promptly put her in her place, nicely of course

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Guilt is a powerful tool. People use it because it is effective. Don't let it get to you. It has nothing to do with you as a person.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• yeah dont let it get to you military does alot for our country but they also have more perks then others i know this for fact because i am in the military i dobut that thier families are in need when there are hundreds of people getting laid from thier jobs everyday
    Anonymous

• You doubt their families are in need? So ignorant and still in the military. Why are their food stamp offices and wic offices on post if they take care of them so well? We were the poorest and struggled the most in my life when my dh was in the military. I went hungry many night because we didn't have food. (or a TV, or cable, or a computer).
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she may have been a collections rep at one point. Aren't they pretty pushy? I get those calls from the Highway Patrol thing all the time. It's the same guy and he is super pushy. I just act like the babysitter and say that my husband and I aren't home. I gave to them once (decided that I could afford a certain amount) and then he started dickering with me to try to get my donation a little higher. When he realized he wasn't getting anymore he transferred me to another extension (where they take your mailing info) and even that dept. tried to extract a couple extra dollars from me. They just don't stop. Then I found out that very little of the donations go to fallen highway patrolmen and their families (like less than 10%). Never again.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• (cont.)
    Since you have been there, you would know best how to help military families, as opposed to giving to an organization to apply as they want. So, what forms of help do military families need most? What sort of donations do they find the most useful?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• well im sorry you sturggle so hard while in the millitary but my family never went without so if you were having such a hard time thats too bad and not ignorance on my part
    Anonymous

• I do understand about people judging you when they ask for a donation and you don't give. I give a lot through out the entire year in my community. I give to rape crisis, domestic violence, and for a hospice agency I work for. I give often. So when I go to the store and get asked if I would like to kick out a few bucks for _______ and then I say, no thank you - I get looks. Nasty ones. But I give so often! They don't know this of course and I don't need to explain, it would sound false anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what they think because I know what I give on a daily basis.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• wow QuinnMae Highway Patrol called me one time I was not sure if it was legit so I said no well this guy was so mad and said he put his life on the line for me etc etc so I was like ok do you work local here trying to see if it was real he got so mad and told me it was none of by business etc etc so I said ok put me on the do not call list and I believe you are a paid call person and not a Officer so he tells me he knows were I live and who I was etc etc so smart ass me tells him ok well than you should know I have a 12 gauge registered to me and have the right to protect my family on my property ...he hung up on me ........OP sorry ...lol.....DONT FELL BAD......

Anonymous

• OMG!!! It was probably the same dude. Do you live in TX? He is really loud and aggressive. They even had an expose on the local news about this organization that has collected several million dollars in donations, yet less than a few hundred thousand was actually given to the families of fallen officers. But they have a really nice museum (that nobody goes to) for the history of Highway Patrol. If I get fooled and actually answer the phone w/o knowing it's him I just tell him I don't have any money to donate to him right now. And when I think about it, even if I were to give $20, it would better serve the family if I just go to a bank branch and donate it to their account (like so many do when a family suffers tragic loss). That way it all goes to the family (or at least most of it).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Well my husband is military and I do not like being called to donate, if I want to donate I will do it on my own free will. I get calls all the time about our firefighters asking me to donate money so their families can be taken care of. Sorry hunny I'm sure they have life insurance just like the military does. Or the fact about the highway patrol and police officers, I live on a damn military base we have our own police. I don't donate money to these organizations because if something were to happen to my husband I wouldn't go around asking for money or support. I would pick up the pieces and move on slowly but surely. I also always through out there that the economy is bad and I don't have money to donate and then I hang up.
    Anonymous