Children and Paganism....

I have recently discovered paganism and am learning about it and I feel this connection I have with it. I have tried the christian path and I can not connect with it. My husband is a Christian(or he says he is) but he has alot of interest in paganism also. Since we are both into paganism should we tell our children about it or are they too young (both 8). Can you tell if a child should follow the paganism path by the way they react to nature and the love they have for it? What is your opinion on Children and Paganism?

tgeary

Asked by tgeary at 4:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• How about teach them about all religions, and allow them to choose.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• See if there's a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship near you. They have multi-faith education programs for all ages. Each congregation is different - if they have more Buddhists than Wiccans, they'll see more meditation nights, if they're all Christian and Agnostic, they'll lean services that way. Talk to the pastor(s) about your goals, and they'll work with you for the kids and you and your husband. In the meantime, read, read, read, and everything you read, double check it somewhere else. Just because it's on a website doesn't mean it's accurate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I agree with Salem ... introduce them to various religions and allow them to choose which ones speaks to them.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• leave them out of it and teach by example. That is my opinion. They know nothing of that world right now. The older they get the more they might question but I teach mine to follow their own heart. I am studying the Shamanic ways and learning that it is within ourselves to find peace, strength and understanding. I don't need anything else.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Let them choose their own path. Tell them you are interested in something and if they have questions answer them. Tell them there are lots of other spiritual paths and if they are interested to just ask you and you will answer their questions to the best of your ability.

Give them the choice of learning more about what you are interested in and learning more about other things that maybe they've discovered.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I dabbled in various religions before going back to the Catholic church. When I did my older kids were young. I let them choose. I think they are too young to decide on a controversial religion. I say that because at school they will have to answer questions most adults find hard to answer. I would let them pick when they are old enough.
    My kids always chose to go to traditional Christian church when I practiced paganism and I was fine with it. They church actually had a bus that picked them up and took them, and youth group and they had fun.

Answer by gemgem at 5:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I am Pagan. My husband is Christian. So we are a little different from you. But we expose our children to as many beliefs as we can. It's up to them what path is right for them. That said, they are exposed to my beliefs the most because I am home with them and they see me living the most. We celebrate the Sabbats and the Christian Holidays - BUT my husband isn't real big on religion and I leave it up to him to reinforce the religious reasoning behind the Christian ones - so they don't get that mostly.

I am in the process of putting together a list of Pagan Parenting Reading, I'll do my best to get it finished today & I'll message you when it's done. Most of us raise our children on our path, it's hard to walk it and not include them. If nothing else they will see you living your Pagan life, reading your books and myths, celebrating the Sabbats and be curious...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Sure-why not- I share many interests with my kids-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• My husband and I are both Pagan. While I agree with my children's right to choose their path as they get older, they are fully included in our family circle and will be taught what we believe (and how those beliefs differ). We are also Unitarian Universalist--part of the reason for this is for their RE as we believe that children should be culturally literate (including an understanding of world religions).

I think that how you handle this would depend in part on their religious experience thus far--how "strict" has it been? Also, some introspection and study as to what you believe, how you intend to practice those beliefs and which of both you want to share should probably come first.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I would say if you are pagan teach your children your religion as you would instruct them in anything else, if that is your desire.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 5:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2011