Is this not ridiculous?

My boyfriend is planning on coming to my parents with me this weekedn to attend a family reunion of mine. His mom, who I've met, want to call my mom to "make sure it's ok" and to "introduce herself." My boyfriend is 22 and his mommy is calling to make sure it's ok??? It's fine with my mom. Also, why is his mom pushing to introduce herself. They should talk and meet when it's time for it to happen. His mom always treats him like he's a kid and not about to graduate college but now I feel she's gone too far and has involved me in her nonsense. The worst part is my boyfriend isn't upset about it. We are not in middle school anymore, there is no reason for her to do this.
Am I overreacting or is the acceptable?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• It depends on the family and how they are. In our family we are very close and make sure all manners are observed. My son is almost 18 and his gf's family and ours get together sometimes but before he went over I did make sure it was alright for us all to go. My dd is also 22 and we do similar with her. I think it just depends on the level of independence and how you are raised. Do his parents pay his college? Any bills? Etc? If so then there is your answer.

Answer by gemgem at 5:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• If he is being supported by or living with mommy, then this is par for the course. If he is completely self-supporting, then I would be a little weary of a enmeshed relationship between the two of them.

But, he can't expect complete freedom until he cuts the financial cord, if that is the case.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• They pay for college and that's it. That's not a reason for them to treat him, and now they're treating me like this, like he's in middle school.
    SaraP1989

Comment by SaraP1989 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I don't get why she has to ask if he is 22 and I assume your of that age as well. To me, it is a little extreme.
    Perhaps you need to introduce the two so that BF's mom knows a little more about your mom and then she won't worry about how your mom is feeling if she already knows how/what your mom thinks.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 5:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Every family is different. Some don't really consider the child an adult until they are not requiring any assistance.

It also could be because of the nature of the function. To many, when a young adult brings a mate to a family reunion, it is really serious business. So, she could be taking an appropriate step of introducing herself and getting the families acquainted.

Some families aren't as close . . . or they don't consider relationships of their children to be significant.

I wouldn't let it get to you . . .just enjoy yourself.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• They aren't necessarily close. He doesn't feel like he can tell her the truth about what he's doing or whatever. He's responsible. It's not like he parties everyday or is out of control. I'm closer with my mom then he is with his. The difference is my mom knows to stay out of my business and that I'll introduce my boyfriend (or in this case) boyfriend's mom when WE are ready. She's not taking it upon herself to do it. That's what annoys me. She wants to treat him like that he can let her. It's when she's starting to do it to me that I can't stand. Just because we are serious about each other is no reason to put her nose where it doesn't belong. It's getting on my nerves. I don't get why she thinks this is ok. Not to mention I did check with my mom seeing as how I'm not going to just bring anyone over and expect her to let him stay the night. She was perfectly fine with it. He even todl her that.
    SaraP1989

Comment by SaraP1989 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• not a big deal in my family
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 5:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2011