Is this a valiad reason to move out?

My landlord randomly shows up at my house when I'm not there. This irritates me enough since I think he's going through my stuff, not to mention there's no reason for him to be there. Today he did it and I was there.I was naked and he rang the door bell and I scrambled to get some clothes on. Within ten seconds of ringing it, he walked in right as I was walking into the living room. Any sooner he would have seen me naked. This is not ok to me. It's a violation of my privacy. I've had numerous problems with him already and I'm about to lose it over this last incident. He was there for something he could have simply called me over. Is moving out an over reaction or should I stay?

I generally like the house. The only reason I would move would be because of him. I hate to move my son again since we've moved every year for three years and twice last year but I can't deal with him doing this much longer.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• It is illegal for a landlord to enter premesis without prior notice, unless its an emergency or you broke your agreement
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Is there a part in your lease agreement that states how or when he is able to enter your house? Do you have a chain on the door for when you are home?
    onix

Answer by onix at 5:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You need to call him and ask him to call you 30 minutes before he comes over,, What makes you think he is going through your things? I don't know your money situation, but moving and everything is expensive, not to mention a hassle, How many times per month does he come over? Just very nicely ask him you need more warning before he comes, and see what his response is? If he gets hostile about it, then give your notice, I am a landlord, and call my renters the day before I need to come in, but I haven't needed to for over a year, all my extermination, and air/heat service is on a schedule and they know when it is going to happen, it sounds a bit creepy.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Its valid. My dd is having a similar issue with her landlady. The problem is in my dds lease which she did not read it says the landlord can come in anytime to do "inspections". The problem is her idea of an inspection is to see if someone is there that isnt supposed to be, is supposed to be, to see if my dd is working, if shes home, if she wants this or that. Its annoying. She is moving as soon as she finds a place.

Answer by gemgem at 5:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• PS.. you do need to ask for a chain lock,, but you have to ask him,, once again see his response.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Can you discuss this with him? I don't think he can just come in without your permission. I think he has to notify you that he will be inside. If he doesn't stop, I would move. Who knows what he is doing in there. Walking in on you was definately not right. Sounds a bit fishy to me.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 5:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Have you sat down and talked with him about it? Maybe he could call 5-10 minutes before he comes over. As a landlord he has a right to enter his property if you live on something like private property. Take a look at your lease agreement and see what it says before talking with him that way if there's something not included about privacy you could bring it up with him. If you can't come to an agreement or solution with him maybe you could look for another place to live.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2011